It may help to summarise here the main points vital to successful sales:
If you don’t get an order (close the sale) it is likely that:
- you didn't identify the customer’s needs precisely; or,
- you didn't listen effectively; or,
- you didn't meet the customer’s needs with your product; or,
- you didn't outline the benefits or incentives of your products accurately or convincingly.
The best way to improve your selling skills is by evaluating objectively the reasons why your potential customer did not buy. Remember:
- check your personal appearance;
- smile, present a business card, shake hands firmly;
- ask relevant questions;
- listen to the answers;
- present unique selling points (USPs) clearly and concisely;
- ask for the order; if you do not receive one, ask what you have to do to get their business; and,
- follow up to confirm the order/agreements in writing.
Finally, enjoy the thrill of writing orders. It is a great feeling and it is the road to profit and business success.