11. Interviewing (iv): Pre-interview preparation
There are a number of things that should be prepared before the interview takes place, some well in advance, others just before. The following checklist should help:
- prepare questions - you need to know what you want to ask each candidate and how you want to ask it;
- book a room - make sure that you have somewhere suitable to conduct your interview. Consider the size of the room, the seating arrangements, the lighting and so on, bearing in mind at all times how the candidate is likely to feel in these surroundings. In addition, make sure that on the day of the interviews there will be no interruptions;
- order stationery - make sure that you have sufficient copies of everything you need, from brochures or factsheets about the company, to pens and paper for note-taking; and,
- re-read the documentation - go over the job description and person specification to be sure you are familiar with the contents, as well as the application form/CV submitted by each candidate.