This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
New Website: What Do You Think?

Hey Guys!

I was wondering if you could give me some advice?

I recently relaunched my website The Teenage Millionaire.
It's now on a new domain http://theteenagemillionaire.com/ and includes a huge host of tweaks and changes to make the content better than ever for the viewer, but it can always be improved.

I'm looking for any advice on how you believe my website can be improved.
Things that I'm looking for are:
- Design changes for the website. For example: move the Facebook box above the Twitter one.
- Content changes. For example: ask this question more often or interview these people.
- Or anything else that you can think of.

I'm really looking for any advice you can think of.

Thanks for your help!
Daniel
Connector
Hi Daniel,

The site looks better than the old one. Also, both .co.uk and .com are leading to the site.

Regards,
Robert Campbell
Technically very balance site regarding design.
Sorry for being the douche, but I would change the design. You are using a free template and I personally find it off putting when landing on sites that used generic templates and I reckon other people would also. You have to think, people are judging your site before they even read anything.
Starting Out
Hi beerbongbros,

I understand what you mean completely and would change to a better premium/customised theme however, I have literally no money at the moment and I don't know anyone who would create a theme for me at the moment.

Thanks for your input!
Entrepreneur
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo2red View Post
Hi beerbongbros,

I understand what you mean completely and would change to a better premium/customised theme however, I have literally no money at the moment and I don't know anyone who would create a theme for me at the moment.

Thanks for your input!
You can get plenty of premium themes for free..

http://www.youngwebbuilder.com/sites...-your-website/ Here is a list I made.
Entrepreneur
it's great
For me, I would have at least a little introduction about the site when you first land on the site.
At the moment you are showing, what, 8 full posts? I would show maybe 5 with excerpts, to create interest and dedicate a page to the story?
For example excerpts : http://freelanceswitch.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbongbros View Post
Sorry for being the douche, but I would change the design. You are using a free template and I personally find it off putting when landing on sites that used generic templates and I reckon other people would also. You have to think, people are judging your site before they even read anything.
I have to agree with beerbongbros here. I've seen way too many sites (mostly spam related) which use this template and can put your sites credibility at risk. Try investing a little more time and money into the design of your site as your content is spot on.

Try theme marketplaces such as Elegant Themes, Themeforest or Woo Themes.

Hope this helps!
Starting Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrokket View Post
For me, I would have at least a little introduction about the site when you first land on the site.
At the moment you are showing, what, 8 full posts? I would show maybe 5 with excerpts, to create interest and dedicate a page to the story?
For example excerpts : http://freelanceswitch.com/
I agree with this point: what a lot of people overlook, especially when starting up, is finding the purpose of your website. Is it to sell? To wow? Is it a showcase? Do you want people to get in touch or do you want them to read articles and share?

Once you've determined this, you can design accordingly. Stand a little bit back from your monitor and squint: what do you notice? Where is your eye led? Currently, I'm led to Peter and his dog. Perhaps create a graphic that anchors what the header says - 'Interviews, Advice & Articles for Aspiring Entrepreneurs' - and that could be the focal point when people land on your site.

I'd also take out the Twitter sidebar widget - it's not working and if it did, is what you tweet about consistent with the tone of voice adopted on the site. While thinking about social media integration - think about which networks work for you - I can see the G+ has a page but there is no content (so perhaps share articles on there).

As others have suggested, until you're able to have a custom theme developed, use a paid template. There are some corkers out there.

Creative Director @ 3ManFactory

Web Design || Graphic Design || Social Media || Marketing and PR

Find me loitering on: Twitter || LinkedIn || Facebook
Hi im fairly new and just need some ad

Nice site,

Really like the concept, resources for young entrepreneurs and encouraging people to start their own businesses rock.

/agree with tomstables - fail to see the direction your going with your site / what outcome your looking for.

Its clear and easy to navigate..... perhaps you could get a Logo / graphic that is slightly more interesting than "The Teenage Millionaire" in writing ...

Good job

Dave
Entrepreneur
wonderful.. but need little designing improvments if you can make seperate themes so people can switch betwen them will be greeat idea
Connector
I like your site. But I believe you can improve it better for instance the BG color.

Tags
advice, ideas, improve, relaunched, website