This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Bookeeping/Accounts software

Can anyone recommend a good software package? I have been working with a simple spreadsheet but I want to be able to forecast and extract data easier and I'm fairly confident that this could be easily achieved through the software package.

Problem is there seem to be loads on the market and most seem to deal with VAT, PAyroll, annual returns. I'm not VAt registered, I don't employ anyone and I have an accountant so don't actually need any of those bits.

Any suggestions?

Naomi

Where creative play is never too messy and the learning is always fun
I would recommend Sage Line 50!

Here are the cheapest I could find online

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...980257-8401243

Never buy Sage products second hand in my opinion as they have been fully registered and you cannot get the full benefits of the E-banking facility and Technical Support.

It really depends on your budget!

Get back to me with your budget and I'm sure I can help. I'm a qualified bookkeeper and this is one of the very few things I actually know something about ''

All the best

Paul

Starting Out
I've just recently been given a software package from the Business Gateway, Complete Business Manager.

I've not had much of a chance to try it out yet, but from what I've seen its good and seems to have everything. Best of all, its free!

If you're already working with the Business Gateway, ask your business advisor, if not, get in touch with them. www.bgateway.com

Good luck
Free no obligation quotes available.
www.f5webdesign.co.uk
info@f5webdesign.co.uk
Connector
I personally donít recommend SAGE, I find it very "accountancy speak" and not nearly as user friendly for the novice as QuickBooks.

Do avoid the very basic version of QuickBooks however as it is very inflexible, the "regular" is about £135 on Amazon and is to my mind good value for what it can do, although you do need to take some time to get it set up right.

However the best thing to probably use is what your own accountant recommends as this will be what the majority of their clients use and they will be able to give you a good level of informal support. Ask me about MYOB for instance and I donít really know many tricks or tips as I only have a couple of clients who use it. I know some people think it beast QB hands down.

Also it is worth considering have your software set up by your accountant. I find with people who dont end up getting charged to sort out the mess at year end/first VAT return which can cost more than doing it right first time around. You should also get a lot more out of it in terms of reporting if things are set up well in the first place.

Regards,
Connector
I've used Sage for the last 18 months but I'm switching to Quickbooks at the end of the month.

The simple reason being as James pointed out, it's very jargonised plus takes forever to get things done....
Connector
I've used both Sage + Quickbooks and would say that Quickbooks is easier to work with and also better value. Having said that once you've learnt a package you'll be fine either way
Maven
I'd check out this website which has a list of nearly all accountancy programs and marks them based on features, etc.

http://www.uk-accounting-software.in...ten.php?Type=F