This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

HTML Email Newsletters - HELP!

Hi

I'm looking for someone to help me with sending out a monthly company newsletter via email.

I'm at the stage where i've finished the newsletter in Frontpage, and have an external company on board that will distribute the email, all i need to know now is how to transfer this into Outlook and onto an email so i can send it out.

I'm using Frontpage but is this the best way to compose the newsletter or is there a easier way thats just as effective?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Connector
Just make sure all links to images in the email are fully qualified (ie http://www.yoursite.com/path/to/image.jpg) and not /path/to/image.jpg

Open Outlook, new mail, File > Open, pick the html page...

Send.

But this is a very ugly way of doing things.... If I was you I'd opt for proper software for the job such as Xigla Absolute Newsletter - http://www.xigla.com

This allows you to track how many people read your mail, allows them to pick to receive in Text or HTML format (Alot of corporations block html mail!) and a host of other features.
Thanks

Thats a great help and i will take a look at the software you suggested.

One question though, how do i use complete URL's if my images are not off the web?

I'm using images i've created in photoshop that i've just stored on my PC. Is this ok?

Thanks again
Connector
Nope, you need the images hosted otherwise your recipients will not be able to view them...

This is why you must use a fully qualified URL...

Another thing to remember is file size, be carefull to make sure the images are not to large, because many people still use 56K modems (Slow Internet Connections) and / or have a limit on the size of email they can receive.

Using the software I recommended will take most of the hassle out of this for you, but it will need a hosting account itself.

(ps. Not that I'd really recommend it, but maybe your ISP has free Web Space for you to use with your account? - You could use this to host the images.)

regards,

Martin
Connector
Hi Kurtberwick,

I used to create monthly email newsletters in my job and my advice to you is to test with various email accounts before sending out otherwise things can go very wrong and end up making you look unprofessional.

Some email clients, especially Lotus Notes render html completely differently to the way you've created it unless its built in a certain way.

As an overview I would check:
-Gmail account
-Hotmail account
-Lotus notes account
-Outlook account (old and new version)

Laura

>> Coffee Tables
Connector
Which is a common problem if you don't produce code to W3C Spec.

Using such tools as Microsoft Frontpage cause this, meaning your email will render differently even in browsers let alone email clients and as Laura has pointed out it's something you need to check. (Just like any web designer.)

Ps. It's also a good idea to learn about Spam Filtering.... And the various filters many of the large ISP's use such as AOL , so that your email reaches their inbox.
Thanks for the replys.

Though i'm still stuck at the first hurdle.

Martin - i've opened outlook, new mail, file > open, but its opening the file in frontpage and not pasting the html document into my new mail window.

I've even tried inserting it as a text file but it just adds it as an attachment.

Where am i going wrong?

Kurt
Connector
ok no problem...

I'm using Microsoft Outlook 2003, Word 2003 & Frontpage 2003, just so were hopefully both looking at the same thing....

In Frontpage, open your html page.. Then File > Send

Done...

regards,

Martin
Connector
Take a look at......

www.constantcontact.com

Used to be FREE for up to 50 subscribers.
Guru
Remember a lot of e-mail and some spyware applications will actully block images being downloaded.

Why do you want to send a html e-mail anyway? Use plain text and if need be link off to a site.
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by amz
Remember a lot of e-mail and some spyware applications will actully block images being downloaded.

Why do you want to send a html e-mail anyway? Use plain text and if need be link off to a site.
Because the idea is to send mail to those that want it, thus allowing your images to be displayed.
I use www.constantcontact.com for my monthly newsletter and can highly recommend it. I looked at using Outlook, but in the end this was so simple to use and provides useful stats that it is worth the small monthly charge.

If you would like to see an example, let me know.

Kate

I usually use PDFs for my newsletters. I've found it to be more successful - maybe people feel they're getting more value?

Dan