This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
What do you think...would you buy?

I'm running a favour for my dad who is setting up a wood working studio. He has been making redwood adirondak chairs for years for all of our family and friends and has decided to start retailing them.

Each one is made to order and can be bought as a single chair or as 2 chairs and table set.

I've set up a temp page on the net with some photo's. Would you mind taking a look and telling us what you think, would you buy them, do you think the price is fair (considering we've seen mass-produced chairs retaling at £100 in two of our local garden stores).

He's also taking orders if anyone's interested too...perfect for the up coming summer.

Anyway, comments are much apprciated.

Also, what type of things do you like to buy (wood wise) that have been hand made. He's looking to start making Uilliann bagpipes too.

The photo's are at www.launchpadmedia.co.uk

Thanks,

Emma.

Brave & The Bold Apparel: An independent urban clothing line from Newcastle.
Connector
I think the quality will justify the price. I am not sure however that the greying of the colour is the best sales pitch.

From a marketing point of view could you do buy 2 chairs and get the table free? Even £75 each or the set for £150 doesn't seem too bad based on what you said about the mass produced chairs.

But if I had a garden I would consider spending money on good garden furniture. Personal taste would be to varnish and keep the red colour. After all it is REDwood he is selling.
Connector
Thanks for your comments.

The chair's would come either varnished or not - depending on the individuals taste. The chair is in fact an American classic and is intended for the redwood to go a ntural silver - which is why they use redwood.

Any other comments appreciated.

Emma.

Connector
What's the P&P cost?
Connector
The postage will be around £10 for flat-packed or ready-assembled for £20 postage (just the size of the package).

My dad has just informed me that the chair in the picture is his protype model (not redwood or teak wood which is what the ofinsihed chairs would be made out of).

Emma.

Connector
Ive been looking for a wooden desk for some time now but the ones I can find are either not well enough made, to big so that I wouldnt be able to get them in the house or I would need a mortgage to buy one. I want one that will out live me. Gonna have to wait until I can afford one I suppose.

I like those chairs, they look well built and comfy. Im not to sure about the prices of garden furnature but I would think thats quite cheap for something hand crafted, for that reason I would buy if I needed garden furnature.

If he has any ideas of where I can get a decent handcrafted desk let me know.
Connector
They are nice i like them

"Make no small plans for they have no power to stir the soul." (Niccolo Machiavelli)

www.marveewoods.com
Marvee Woods Music
Talented songwriter
Connector
I know someone who makes really good money doing this...good luck with it. Winter is a pretty poor time for sales though, so you have to diversify into a few other pieces. You can sell them on my free UK classifieds site once you get started.

You should just varnish everything by 'default'

Flower boxes, plant stands and bird feeders bits like that sell really well also.

James

Free Business Advertising | UK Business Directory
Local Business Directory | UK Business Directory | Free PC Tools
Lifetime Links | Cooking Recipes | Dessert recipes | 10,000 directories