This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Guru
PR, Marketing, promotions

Hi all

We sell hip-hop urban wear for women online (www.urbanspirit.co.uk). We've been trading for 2 months and are selling but things are slow and not where we planned to be after 2 months. We are on a very tight budget being a new startup but wanted to know if anyone has any additional ideas for driving traffic to our site. So far we have:
done Google AdWords and Yahoo Search Marketing, been distributing flyers, had 1 advert in RWD (a popular urban mag), got a piece on a well known urban drink and a well known young fragrances site, done viral marketing campaigns, e-shotted over 20,000 people from an upated urban list, done a press release but no write-ups from it yet and I think that's it.

We've had over 4000 hits a month but the conversion rate is less than 1%. I need help with PR but can't afford to pay.

Any ideas?

Showgirl
Maven
Strangely enough, I visted your site earlier. The biggest pointer I would offer would be to drop the splash page. I don't know whether you have access to your site stats or not, but I'd be interested to see how many people don't go further than the first page. Your store looks fantastic - and certainly rivals some of the really big high-street names, but the splash page looks terrible. I initially thought it was 2 different sites because the difference in design quality was so huge.

Like I say, check your stats first - you may find alot of people don't go much further than the front, hence your low conversion ratio. On the other hand, I could be totally wrong.
Guru
Thanx for the feedback ChillPill

When you say the splash page, is that the same as the store front? If yes, I've not been too happy with it and we are in the process of getting it changed. Would you say to not bother with that page or just have people going straight to the home page? Or what would you suggest for that page?
Connector
Yup, straight to information - that's what people use the net for.

I dropped my splash page 18 months or so ago and the increase in enquiries was very noticeable.
Connector
I have just been on your site too. Totally agree that the landing page isnt doing you good because i actually thought it was one of those very cheap e-commerce tempates but when i entered you website it actually looks good.

Out of interest, have you identified you target market as i think its not just advertising in urban hip hop because i think your products are designer labels and a bit on the expensive side. i think this would should be more targetted on the middle class urban hip hop.

I think you need to really think about the PR angle of your business for it to be more targetted and specific eg in my local area there is a local beauty saloon which has opened and they have a promotion they are doing with the local radio station 'make my mum a model' where the people ring the radio show and the winning entry will get a pampering at this saloon.

I know the fashion industry is a bit tough but have you thought about a launch party too and invite the media too. This may seem expensive but you could look at cheap ways of doing it like using the local arts university. You could invite differnt people even students from fashion design colleges etc and have a lot of promotional material and you could even build link and affliate schemes with them.

Getting this business from just online sales maybe a bit hard because people generally tend to bargain hunt when they go online so this is why i have a strong feeling for a launch party where you can display your products.
Maven
Quote:
Originally posted by Showgirl
Thanx for the feedback ChillPill

When you say the splash page, is that the same as the store front? If yes, I've not been too happy with it and we are in the process of getting it changed. Would you say to not bother with that page or just have people going straight to the home page? Or what would you suggest for that page?
Yes - as eagle also stated, take the visitors straight into the store - less clicks the visitor has to do, more likely they are to buy. Your store looks fantastic anyway, so that should be more than enough to keep people on the page for those critical first 5 seconds!
Connector
I must say but personally the snow flakes turn me off the site, they draw my attention away from what I want to look at.

Just another thing you could try taking more pictures of the clothes from different angles maybe? "action shots" if you could call it that.

I think if you consider your store to be "real life" where the user wants to be able to see what their buying for example in a shop they take it off the shelve look at it, if they like it they will take it, although e-commerence is obviously not that easy so you need to show the user in pictures what they are getting for their money (because at the moment they cant physically touch it to check).
Connector
Had a quick look. I would think this is an impressive website simple and straight to the point. The snowflakes for me do the job well we are almost into the winter season so this goes well. However, make sure the clothes also reflect this on the front page.

You have only have few seconds to grab visitors attention so make sure your front page reflect the winter season coming up. Now, I am no expert on urban clothing however, the prices look steep. This might be one of your major problems trust! Why would someone buy from you and not from an already established brand?

This brings me to building your brand image. Its not easy however; you need to be getting more press releases into the local and national press. One advert in a magazine will not get you far. For advertising to be successful you need to build an advertising campaign consisting of different forms of advertising. On average: a person has to see the advert at least 4 times before taking time to look at it.

Hope this helps.
Connector
Some good advice above.

It is very true that customers want to get right to the info and start looking.

the deeper they have to dig the more chance you have of losing them!

have you thought about writing a press release?

You would have to come up with a news worthy story to get the attention of the journalists

----------------------------------------------
Connector
Hi Showgirl,

I like your site but I must ask this and by no way mean to offend but are the brands the geniune article or are they look alikes?

There are so many sites selling look alike brands that its hard to tell. You make no mention to the autenticity of the brands in your about page or in the product descriptions so I wonder how many customers are asking this question.

If they are genuine then you need to shout it out to build faith and then loyalty from customers.

Also you don't an address on the contact page, this bothers me with online shops. It needs to be a real address not a PO Box IMO if you want to be seen to be a safe retailer.

Cheers,
Belinda
www.pinkenvy.co.uk
Connector
Hello

Hi there,

Like your site and the stock is fab.

You need to go where the market is as well.

There are so many events where fashion concious young people go particularly in London. Get out there and give out flyers, with the christmas season upon us perhaps attached a sweet on the flyer to get their attention.

Email me and I can send you some more links and ideas for networking amongst the crowd you want to focus on.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Ronke

www.whosfordinner.com - London's coolest dinner dating site!

www.simonewilliams.co.uk - Sophisticated Ladieswear fashion
Starting Out
Hi

I really like your site showgirl and echo the comments others have made.

Have you tried flyers at events, concerts etc where your target market hang out. I'm not sure if you in London but if you are there are a couple of Urban events at Jazz cafe and there are usually events at the Shepherd's Bush Empire, Hammersmith Appollo etc.

I have to admit, the snowflakes although in season are slightly distracting/annoying.

I also can't read your special offer refer a friend details in the boxes at the bottom of the page.

You might want to try some local advertising with dare I say, pirate stations!

Misstique
Starting Out
Hi

I really like your site showgirl and echo the comments others have made.

Have you tried flyers at events, concerts etc where your target market hang out. I'm not sure if you in London but if you are there are a couple of Urban events at Jazz cafe and there are usually events at the Shepherd's Bush Empire, Hammersmith Appollo etc.

I have to admit, the snowflakes although in season are slightly distracting/annoying.

I also can't read your special offer refer a friend details in the boxes at the bottom of the page.

You might want to try some local advertising with dare I say, pirate stations!

Misstique
Guru
Thanx for the feedback and ideas guys

We're looking at doing more link ups with relevant club nights and promoters. And yes the brands are all real and we are official stockists, I see what you mean, we should be shouting it from the rooftops!

I've taken note of the tips - cheers guys...
Connector
Hi Showgirl,

Wow, definately you need to really shout it out and have a full page on the fact you are auth stockists and tips on how to spot a look alike, this will raise your profile so much.

All the best,
Cheers,
Belinda
www.pinkenvy.co.uk