This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Mailing List

Hi,

Is the best way to get people to join a mailing list by offering some kind of incentive such as a monthly prize draw.

We really need to build a database!

Thank you

Lou

Raspberry-Bloom Jewellery Design
Connector
Hi Lou

I once built a good database by offering a free gift voucher to spend in one of my online stores.

You have to make sure all the figures add up though, and that they have to spend so much say £50 before they can redeem their £5 voucher for instance, worked well at the time for me.

Free Prize draws work great, not as responsive as i have hoped but i think it greatly depends on what your prize is and how many people see it.

A lot of sites just say "sign up to our newsletter (mailinglist) to receive details of our special offers, new releases and more"

Marc
Connector
I launched my website in August and from the launch until last week I ran a competition to win a £50.00 voucher to spend in my store.

There are sites you can submit your competition details to such as www.loquax.co.uk and www.theprizefinder.com.

I gave people the option of signing up for my newsletter, I had around 500 entries to the competition and about 350 signed up for the newsletter.

It's definitely helped to increase traffic to the site, though it's difficult to tell how many will develop into customers.
Connector
I also ran a comp recently and had 520 sign up. I do expect that some will unsubscribe once they have not won and I have sent a few newsletters. I will be sending a newsletter very soon so can let you all know how many opt out, usually its less than 1%.

The comp will also increase your traffic and whilst it might not create instant customers it is getting the brand out there which is just as important.

Cheers,
Belinda
www.pinkenvy.co.uk
Guru
Hiya

For the guys that ran competitions, how did they work? Where did you advertise your competition to drive people to the site?
Connector
Hi,
I ran it from a comp page on my site and submitted to:

http://www.ukcompetitions.com/
http://www.theprizefinder.com/
http://www.loquax.co.uk/
http://www.catchthatprize.co.uk/
I am also on shopping directories which often pick up the comp + emailed my current list to promote the comp.

HTH,
Cheers,
Belinda
www.pinkenvy.co.uk
Connector
I promoted my comp in the same way Belinda has (all those competition websites will drive the traffic to your site) and I found people then picked up on it and posted it in forums etc...
Connector
I think the best thing would be to actually offer something in your newsletter which users will be interested in. If people do subscribe just to enter a competition that's great, but you will find most will simply delete the newsletter when it arrives.

If you had useful info, some interesting for your target market to read - that would really attract people to add themselves to your database.

www.whichwebdesigncompany.co.uk
Be confident in your choice - Rate and review your web design company here!
Maven
If you are looking for email software that allows signups and automatic unsubscriptions etc. - try: http://www.activecampaign.com/12all/

Hope that helps.

Jamie
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by elaborations
I think the best thing would be to actually offer something in your newsletter which users will be interested in. If people do subscribe just to enter a competition that's great, but you will find most will simply delete the newsletter when it arrives.

If you had useful info, some interesting for your target market to read - that would really attract people to add themselves to your database.
Agree, I think the point is they do not have a mailing list or a small one so the comp is to build the list but you are right the first newsletter will need to be content rich with offers to hold onto those who signed up.

Cheers,
Belinda
www.pinkenvy.co.uk
Connector
I just started a competition to try and boost my list - so im giving away an ipod shuffle - check it out:

http://www.cameroncaine.co.uk/competition.html
Maven
just signed up cameron, hope i win that ipod
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Belinda
Agree, I think the point is they do not have a mailing list or a small one so the comp is to build the list but you are right the first newsletter will need to be content rich with offers to hold onto those who signed up.

Cheers,
Belinda
www.pinkenvy.co.uk
Even if they didn't have a list, or a very small one - if they offered something really interesting - I don't know what exactly but say for example sign up to our newsletter and we will send you information monthly on the latest trends and best buys as well as our special offers --- or something! then you would get more people signing up through the website of their own accord because they genuinely want to receive the newsletter (and not just because they want to win a competition)

www.whichwebdesigncompany.co.uk
Be confident in your choice - Rate and review your web design company here!
Connector
what program/script do you people use for your mailing list?