This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Shares - Anyone know anything about it?

I have recently made a good investment(so i was told) into an ISA shares Investor. This is the first time i have invested in shares.

How it works is i put an amount of money into it on a monthly basis and my bank invests the money for me and i should see some sort of profit. I have been at it for 6 months now and i have not seen a rise in profit. I dont know what companies my money is going into because the bank cant tell me that information(i know it sounds crazy).

I thought it was a good idea at first but i dont know now if i should stick at it or stop it.

Does anyone know a better or more clearer way of investing in shares?

Over and Out!
Connector
Do you know what the return on your investment will be after the first year?

This is the question you need to ask. It should be a percentage of the amount invested.

You can get a 5% return with secure investments like saving accounts up to 15-25% (upwards) with not so secure investments. Personally, I wouldnt trust anyone with my investments.

The best way to invest is by doing it yourself. Investing in shares is risky so I wouldnt put more money than you can afford to lose into it untill you understand how it all works.

ISAs are usually low return investments if im not mistaken, altho Ive never looked into them really.
Connector
6 months is a very short time period for shares. If you are looking for a quick return you are probably in the wrong game.

It sounds like you are in some form of managed fund or tracker fund as you dont know what shares you have invested in. This means your money goes into a very very large pot of which you own a tiny fraction. The advantage of this is that you spread your risk - but you will never get much better returns than the market average so dont expect anything spectacular in the short term.

I have ISA investments and their predecessors going back at least 10 years, I consider them long term investment, they go up and down on a regular basis. I generally get statements every 6 months or so, and I would imagine if you are looking at your first 6 months statement it would be about static given what the markets have been doing recently.

Play - ISA's are just a tax free "wrapper" you can invest in individual stocks if you wish, or in a fund. You can also chose what sort of funds you invest in, you dont have to invest in a FT100 tracker. They are great for small investments.
Connector
DIY Investment is the way forward IMHO I would never touch an ISA or any kind of managed fund for this very reason but then I have spent a fair amount of time doing ground work researching certain sectors and trading or investment methodologies. Works very well for me but it requires an investment of your time.
Guru
Look into it. If it's investing in shares and hasn't made any profit over the last 6 months, in which the FTSE100 has gone from about 5000 to 5500, there's something wrong.

Does anyone else here invest in the stockmarket?
Maven
Thanks alot guys i must admit my mind is much clearer regarding investing in shares than before.

I will investigate further and let you lovely people know the outcome.

Once again thanks!
Maven
Dear JKlondon

Where do i start regarding research into investing into shares?

Would the Financial Times be a good first step?
Connector
yeah FT is good start - some of their publications are not to bad either you can get them from amazon or a library..good luck.
Connector
I wish I could just buy and sell shares without being charged, it looks so easy.
Connector
you mean broker charges - they aint that bad - you can spreadtrade (www.squaregains.co.uk) gives you a one-pager on this but I would suggest a simple broker account to start typically 15 per trade regardless of size (upto a few hundred K at least)..

it aint easy!
Connector
Why not invest the money into your business ? thats what i would do if i had spare cash coming in, its in the safest hands then.

All a banks ISA is, is like me saying "give me your money, i won't tell you what am doing with it, but it might increase in value in a few years, but it probably won't".

The guys are right the safest bet is look after it yourself, or get a guaranteed high interest savings account if your saving alot.

I would invest it in my business, or take a try at premium bonds ? chance of a million pound windfall every month and you always can get your money back, now that straight away poo's on the ISA :-) when would a few grand in a ISA have the chance to turn into a million every month ?

Marc :-)
Maven
I have been reading up about Premium Bonds but i cant figure out what exactly they are(sorry if i sound dumb) can anyone explain what bonds are? and how you go about investing in them?
Guru
have a gander at nsandi.com, should shed some light on them.

They are a very safe investment, it costs you nothing to keep your money in them and you have the chance of winning up to a mill on thier monthly draws, kind of lottery without actually buying a ticket!
Connector
Yep thats the site, once registered you can buy them every month if you like, minimum 100 i think, Alan Sugar believes in them to :-)

A friend i used to work with has about 1000 of them (1 each) and he is always getting 50's back here and there, and as above there is no other way your going to get the chance of 1,000,000 back in a month from a 1000 :-)

Marc
Maven
Ok i will check it out and get back to you guys.

If i get a mil i will take this whole discussion forum out for drinks!