This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Connector
So that`s £10pp to get it designed, 2p per copy delivery 15p per copy for printing......

Anyone want to do the selling for me for a few quid and I`m away........LOL

Seriously, I have kicked this around a few times and keep coming back to.....
a) Cold calling to sell advertising (of all things) must be a thankless job.
b) Getting the copy on time, especially from businesses that don`t already have adverts you can use, must take time chasing them.
c) Getting money out of them, I suspect would also be quite time consuming and
d) Each month you have to start all over again trying to convince advertisers to stay with you.

Plus, how do you decide how much non-earning content to put in? Yes, interesting articles would be nice, but each of these pages increases your costs and does`nt earn you a penny.

MMmmmmm, anyone actually started one since this thread was started?
Maven
Quote:
Originally posted by Encantador
So that`s £10pp to get it designed, 2p per copy delivery 15p per copy for printing......
Yes but if you are making maybe £150-200 on average on each page... then the return is brilliant... much better than most work at home businesses...

But yes, you are right, the things you've mentioned putting you off going for it are definitely the only 'difficult' bits of the business. Bear in mind though that all these points should only be a drag initially, some of the advertisers in the mag I work on book up for 12 months in advance... I would say that around three quarters of the mag is continuous advertisers so you're workload should dramatically decrease as time goes on.

Deciding on how many 'filler' article pages totally depends on how your ad space has gone, if you've filled lots with paying advertisers then its almost irrelevant how many non paying pages go in... provided you've covered your costs for the mag. Plus, these pages, even though free, are quite valuable to the publication... after all they are what makes it readable and not just a book of ads...

Gem
Entrepreneur
Hi
I started with a 24 page mag and now increased to 48 pages, I charge £250.00 for standard full colour full page & £300 for premium pages.
Out of the 48 pages at least 30 of these are ads.
I never cold call as such I always send a pack out to businesses before contacting, I hate cold calling so at least theyíve seen the product before I call. You donít have to do this as it obviously adds extra costs but if like me you donít like the idea of cold calls itís not a bad idea and the price of a second class stamp for each business.
If a business doesnít have artwork for their ad I offer to design it free of charge they are usually happy for me to do that and itís better than chasing them. It takes me about half hour to design artwork. I have no design experience and had no idea how to use my software when I bought it.
I insist on payment before publication 99% of businesses pay on time and the other 1% pay within a few days of the mag going out, so far Iíve only had to send 2 reminders.
Once you have spoken to businesses about advertising they remember you and will either advertise or not, when one goes out another one will go in.
I include features on local schools, business reviews (which I charge for) eventís in the area, clubís and groups news anything local that will make people pick up the mag and read it. Yes, for every page you give away you lose the revenue from but on the other hand with out that content you may as well not publish the mag
Iím not saying itís easy all the time but which job/ business is?
You have to work hard at it like anything else but at least £5000 in my pocket every month for a few hours work a week is worth it.
Tyler
Hi ewallbank,

Please could you drop me an email to tyler @ webtotal.co.uk (remove spaces)? Just wondered if you could help me out with something?

Cheers,
Tyler
Connector
Hi Ewallbank,

Thanks for that, what was the book you bought?

I take it you mean £250-300 per advertising page, meaning a quarter page ad would be £62.50-75? I ask because I all i have read suggests that these mags are primarily aimed at the small business who does not want to pay newspaper prices.

A full page at £250-300 would in my area buy me a full page (maybe not in colour) in a free paper which is delivered to 25000 households.

I am assuming yours is A5 glossy full colour, which increases the printing costs quite a bit I would imagine.

I took a look at the Royal mail link you posted which seemed to suggest a minimum cost of £500, but I may have read it wrong.

I like the idea of sending a pack first, breaks down a barrier I would imagine. Easier than trying to explain what you are offering.

Mymaggers apparently use Frontpage, a friend who knows about these things told me to find something better if i decide to give it a go. What do you use?

Thanks for sharing.

Long may it continue. (The mag, not the sharing, no, the sharing too....lol)
Entrepreneur
Hi there
The book I bought off Amazon:
Publish Your Own Magazine, Guidebook, or Weekly Newspaper: How to Start, Manage and Profit from Your Own Home-Based Publishing Company (Culture Tools) (Paperback)
by Thomas A. Williams (Author)

Yes, £250 per advertising page eighth page £40 quarter page £70, half page £135 I also have a directory page £10 per insertion. The mags are aimed at any business that will advertise large or small.
You have to work out what the cost would be in your area, get media packs from all your local papers and see what they are charging work round there prices.

You say there is a local free paper in your area that has 25000 copies printed, do they deliver to 25000 homes?
Also will they guarantee they print/deliver that amount?
There is a local paper here and they say the print 20000 copies but ask them to guarantee that amount and they wont, also I have been told by very reliable sources they only print a maximum of 5000 copies. They donít deliver the paper is just left in the local petrol stations and shops.

Yes, mine is A5 glossy but not full colour, I have some advertisers that only want blk/white ads so approx 4 pages are set aside for them some of my editorials are also blk/white this brings the cost down by approx £60 per printers pair.
Printing costs are the biggest expense I did pay £2000 per month for printing but I have just had February issue printed by a new printer who has done it for £1700.

Yes, the minimum cost for Royal Mail is £500 this is for a one off mail shot but I have a 12 month contract with them making it approx £300 for distribution per mth. If I had to continue distributing every month myself I would not continue with the magazine, my family & I delivered the first few months when I had 5000 copies printed and it was a mammoth task so itís well worth paying someone else to do it.

Yes, the packs really work, as I said it does add on to the costs and if you are comfortable with cold calling you donít have to send them but I prefer to. Also if you cold call and people donít know what you are talking about they will ask you to send one out anyway, so youíve made 2 phone calls and sent a pack, instead of one pack & one call.

I use Adobe Indesign although this new printer wants me to use Coral Draw best to check with the printer which software they use before you start. Also printers are usually happy to help you with the layout of your magazine and anything else they can help you with, when you think about it you are worth at least £20000 per year to them so can they afford not to help.

I could go on all day about this but I think I have given you a good startÖÖÖ.no need to pay ĎMy magí now you have the info for FREE!!
Connector
Hi Everyone!

Sorry Ive not been participating alot in the forum much this year but ive been busy keeping things moving in my own business.

Anyways, ive been reading over the discussions in the MyMag topic.

The offer still stands, if anyone is looking for sound, free advice on their magazine give me a shout.

At the moment we are printing around 25 different mymag styles magazines every month for different people with print run lengths from 2,000 - 15,000.

If any you guys are looking for comparison quotation on your current print quote, please get in touch.

Im in the current process of launching a Lifestyle Magazine with a print run of 40,000 for the whole of the ayrshire area.

Im looking for help with stock articals to fill the thing up. If anyone can help give me a shout.

Kind regards

Andi McCann
Cann Print
www.cannprint.com
andi@cannprint.com
I want to know from the people who have succeeded in creating a mag, did you sell the advertising before printing the first issue? and if you did, how did you sell the idea?

Maven
Hi Widgey,

The mag that I work on was bought as a my mag franchise... and I believe they give you some copies of other mags in the pack that you get when you sign up, so you can show these whilst selling the idea of yours to potential advertisers...

But yes, advertising space would be sold for issue 1 of a mag prior to going to print with it.

If there isn't a pack available or you're starting from scratch, then I would suggest producing a mock up copy or some sample pages which you can show to advertisers of how the magazine would look.

Gem
Quote:
Originally posted by gemma1977
Hi Widgey,

The mag that I work on was bought as a my mag franchise... and I believe they give you some copies of other mags in the pack that you get when you sign up, so you can show these whilst selling the idea of yours to potential advertisers...

But yes, advertising space would be sold for issue 1 of a mag prior to going to print with it.

If there isn't a pack available or you're starting from scratch, then I would suggest producing a mock up copy or some sample pages which you can show to advertisers of how the magazine would look.

Gem
Fantastic! thanks for that!! will do a little more research and get back to you if i need any further help if that is ok ?

Thanks again

Re: magazine publishing

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmamajules
[
Has anyone out there gone the independent route with any success?

Cheers, Julia [/b]
Hi, I've only just found this so I hope I'm not too late joining in.

Yes I went the independent route (having been warned off My-Mag by a friend who ran one) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't make mega-bucks but then I live in a fairly rural area and advertisers are a bit more thin on the ground than in the towns and cities.

I made between £800 and £1800 (mostly £1000 or so) per month over eighteen months but have now gone back to employment since my daughter started school.

It's hard work. I wasn't really prepared for all the cold calling and I'm not a natural sales person.

I found that advertisers want to see content so I arranged for a cook shop to write a regular piece and also my local MP and anyone else I could rope in. I've found out since I stopped doing it that My Mag have a sort of editorial club which provides content but you have to pay for it. I think it's around £50 per month.

I used Microsoft Publisher as my husband already had a copy and it was easy to use. There was no problem with the printer. I just converted everything to a PDF when I'd finished and handed him that on a CD. It always looked good. That was a tip given to me by my My Mag friend.

In spite of everything I managed to make my magazine succeed, (more or less) and I even sold it on to a young college leaver when I decided to call it a day.

My friend still runs her magazine but independently from My-Mag now and has expanded it beyond her original postcode.

She uses a site called www.thewritecontent.co.uk for editorial pieces as it's much cheaper than My Mag and the site looks more professional.

Hope this helps. I'm still quite proud of my little magazines and would consider running one again in the future one day.

Cheers.
Hi

I'm new to the forum. I've been running a small magazine since November and profits are creeping up slowly. We want to cover a larger area soon and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some websites I can subscribe to for good quality content? I already subscribe to 'Tipps' and 'the write content', but I was hoping for some content with more lifesyle, fashion and motoring focus, also diy and interiors. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sam
Entrepreneur
Hi Sam

Have you tried writing your own content, about your area?
Or asking local groups/associations to write for you?

I have found this to be one of unique selling points for my magazine, advertisers and readers love the fact that the magazine is full of local information, news and events. It has encouraged more businesses to advertise and itís not an awful lot more work for me as I donít write the editorials I just have to collect them (all done by email).

It gives the magazine a more personal feel which locals can get involved with, they love it and you reap the rewards!

Just a suggestion
Good luck with it
Hi, Ive come in late to this interesting thread. I'm trying start a community/local mag here in Australia and finding it a bit hard to research as the local magazine idea isnt anywhere near as popular as it seems to be in the UK and resources are hard to find.

Would someone be kind enough to post me a few copies of a mymag type local/community mags and i will pay them for their trouble. I will also send a small gift to anyone kind enough to go to the trouble.

Please email me at wbinst@gmail.com if you'd like to help me out.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

ps: An emailed pdf will do if posting is too much trouble. But i would love a couple of hard copies to reference.
Hi Wayne,

Good luck with your venture. It really is a lot of fun. I wasn't keen on the selling which is a bit soul destroying at times and I don't have very thick skin. The way I coped was to set a target of say, 20 approaches per day and sit at the phone until I'd finished my quota. Otherwise I'd have kept putting it off and putting it off until doomsday! Once my 20 were out of the way if I could face doing anymore I did. If it had been a bad day I just did something else instead. I could probably have made more money if I'd been made of sterner stuff.

One tip I found was to approach the 'little' people (very small traders: carpenters, odd job men, one man outfits). They were the people who really seemed to jump at the chance of being in the magazine. Bigger advertisers were a bit sniffy until I was up and running properly. It was as if my magazine was a bit beneath them. Small traders though were very enthusiastic as they could get a prominent space for very little money.

I do have all my old magazines but I only kept one copy of each to remind me of my achievements. I'll have a shufty around in the attic and see if I accidentally kept a couple more. There must be at least one lying around somewhere!

I also had quick browse on the web and this magazine seems to be sort of similar in design to the one I used to produce. I had more editorial content though. That's not a boast it's just what my advertisers and readers preferred.

http://home.btconnect.com/IanDobsonP...ne/sr7mag.html

Sorry it's a long URL. I hope it works.

I'd just like to say that this magazine seems to be based in Sunderland, a couple of hundred miles from where I live and I have no connection with it whatsoever. It was just the first local magazine I came across in my web search which seemed to be what you are looking for.

I'll have a look and see if I can find any of my old ones too. Sadly I never managed to get a website together or it would have been much easier.

Cheers