This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Thought I had it enabled, thing never seems to do what I want.

Off to email you now!

**EDIT**

Emailed you now, let me know if it doesn't arrive within the next hour!!
Entrepreneur
I've done it!!

Hi all

I know this post is quite old but I've only just found it (by chance)!
I just wanted to say that I looked into 'my mag' and others and have to agree they are a RIP OFF!
I couldn't face to part with my money so decided to try for myself, I have no publishing or sales experience what so ever but I put in a lot of ground work and bought a book.
I published my first issue last August and the magazine has taken off no end!
My advice is don't pay them do it yourself!
Re: I've done it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ewallbank
I know this post is quite old but I've only just found it (by chance)!
Same here!!!!

I'm looking for some help on this issue but it's more with the legal side of things.

I'm intending starting a local magazine along the lines of the mymag idea. However what I'd like to know is the following:

Does the name of the magazine have to be registered as a business name / trademark etc?

With almost every magazine I've read it states a publisher. Is it best to give my business a different name from the actual magazine itself such as "*Name* Publishers" or something along those lines.

Are there any rules / regulations to conform to if naming your business as a publisher.

Any help from mags in existence out there would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Connector
I think bestof.co.uk and mymag have a really unprofessional set up. They do not appear to advise their franchisees about important issues like copyright.

I had an 'encounter' with bestof.co.uk recently when I found that one of the ads in their local sites had plagiarised 3 pages on my site word for word, including a research report which I had obtained written permission from the originator to re-produce.

I assumed that the matter could easily be resolved by approaching the local rep under whose auspices this local version (franchise) was produced as I assumed that the content must have been submitted in its plagiarised state by the co whose ad it was. What was worse was that the actual company whose ad it was is based literally 5 miles away from us - so it was hardly as if he was based xxx miles away...

To cut a long story short, the local rep was very aggressive, very ignorant and refused to acknowledge wording was the same. This was highly frustrating so I just approached the HQ instead and provided them with line by line examples to prove it was directly copied. I also showed them the copyscape results showing the same.

Result? Turns out ads are produced by the franchisee (not the actual advertiser as I had assumed) and in this case the franchisee was so stupid and ignorant that he thought he could get away with copying from my site directly.

Made me think what a really unprofessional set up it must be if they don't even advise the franchisees about the importance of observing copyright when they create the ads.
Entrepreneur
Take my advice don't pay the money!
As I said I knew nothing about publishing and now my magazine is a real hit in my area.
I have to say though I live in rural Yorkshire and there is no other local magazine so I do have the niche.
There a loads of books on Amazon on 'how to publish a local magazine' some for less than £10, I bought one and it's fab, that's where I got most of my ideas.

You do have to register as being self employed why not get in touch with your local business link or business help organisation, again I went to see business link and they were great with all the legal stuff I needed to know before I got started best of all their help is free.

Hope this helps
Guru
Would have to agree with what has been said...DO NOT pay for this! You can set it up for yourself at a fraction of the cost. I am in the process of doing this for my area and have had a reasonable amount of interest from local businesses looking to target local customers
Connector
Is MyMag based on 2000 magazines being delivered per week, month?

It would be interested to hear from the people running these mags how they made the decision as to how many to distribute.

Obviously, as printing is the main cost, the more you print / distribute the more you have to charge your advertisers.

i have looked at this a few times and have always been put off my having to sell advertising, which lets face it, no business especially small businesses `wants` to have to spend money on.

With something new, competing with all the other options they have, how difficult/easy is the selling?
Connector
No business wants to have to have to spend money on anything. The fact is, if you can produce a local publication that people are interested in and actively read then there is no reason why small local businesses won't fork out to advertise in it, assuming the cost to advertise is attractive. Money spent wisely on advertising is an investment and should bring back much more money than the initial outlay.
Entrepreneur
When I started in August I published 5000 copies the hardest part was the distributing every month it's a real hard slog but luck for me I have a great husband and kids who helped. By issue 4 I increased to 8500 copies and my magazine is delivered by Royal Mail.

Another big problem with 'mymag' is the post code areas I am on the border of 3 different post code areas but I could only serve 1 with mymag which was no good to me.

It is essential the magazine has lots of local info in it or it doesnít interest readers then businesses wonít advertise.
Yes, you have printing costs to pay but not really any other out goings and the more you have printed the more appealing it is to advertisers my printing costs are £2000 per month.

Businesses love the fact it's delivered to peoples homes not just left in drop off points so that's another selling point.

I have to admit I hated the advertising sales side but business owners get to know who you are and if you get a knock back it's not the end of the world just carry on.

You have to work hard but the sense of achievement when each issue goes out is fab!
I only work 16-20 hrs a week on the magazine and run 2 businesses as well.
ewallbank where in the country are you based?

Connector
ewallbank, congratulations, you are obviously doing something right.

A lot of people buy Mymag no doubt because it takes away a lot of the difficult decisions, like what software to use, how many pages to aim to sell, what to charge for each different sized advert etc etc.

I am intrigued what made you move from 5000 to 8500 so quickly, presumably that meant an increase in advertising costs for your customers. I assume Mymag suggests increasing the size of the mag (pages) over time but not the quantity.

What sort of reactions did you get when you were selling the first issue, did you have a mock mag to show?

Is it wise to trust RM with your distributions? (;0)

Does`nt that add considerably to your costs?
Entrepreneur
Thank you Encantador.

Yes, I agree I think people buy 'mymag' because they think it will make it easier for them but my opinion is you don't think you could set it up on your own then it's not for you have the gumption and get off your backside and do it (probably get shot for that comment).
When I was getting advice from Business link they put me in touch with a lady that was a 'mymagger' and to cut a long story short she had such a bad time with them her advice to me & anyone else interested was don't touch them with a barge pole!

As for software, speak to your local printer and see what they advise, I had publisher but my printer uses adobe indesign so I bought adobe off ebay at less than 1/4 the retail price, I had no idea how to use it and found it very confusing to start but I bought a book off Amazon and never looked back.

I took a gamble and increased numbers so quickly after feedback from my advertisers, yes that meant an increase in my prices but I'm still the cheapest advertiser around this area and because itís delivered to every home and business advertisers love the idea that is my unique selling point.

When I was trying to publish my first issue it was awful!
I had no sales experience and found cold calling almost unbearable!
I didn't have a mock copy as I decided to publish the mag and within 4 weeks my first issue was out so I didn't have time to produce a mock copy.
I just had to grin and bare it really and persuade business owners I had a good product, I only just broke even with issue one (which still gives me a buzz when I think about it)
Once issue one was out I had businesses ringing me!
Only a handful mind there is still an awful lot of cold calling but just the fact that a handful of people like what I was doing made it all worth while.

With Royal Mail I don't have much choice if they didn't deliver the mag would have to fold so I have to trust them.
Cost, its approx 2p per copy so doesnít add on much really.

Widgey: I'm in North Yorkshire
Tyler
Hi ewallbank,

You sound to be doing really well!

Would you have any details of how to get in touch with Royal Mail regarding distribution?

Cheers,
Tyler
ewallbank:

Many thanks for your responses.

It is very encouraging to hear a success story from someone starting from scratch.

There was no way I was going to fork out over 3 grand on a "franchise", I used to work in graphic design in a sales orientated business so I think I've got a good grounding.

Tyler:

I think this may help you, there is a phone number there as well.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...diaId=36400685
Maven
design of magazines

Hi Guys,

Just been reading through this thread and wanted to offer my advice...

I'm a graphic designer, and I do the design part of a monthly my mag publication for a my magger... in hindsight I think they feel they paid a lot for what they received and could have done it alone. Having said that, their publication has been running for two years now and is at 60 pages per month, netting them around a £3-£4000 income per month... So it definitely can be very successful.

One thing that has made her advertising very easy to sell is the design however, I can see a lot of people talking about doing the layouts themselves. Unless you have a good eye for design and knowledge of how to do it and supply it to printers, then where possible i would use a designer. Not only will your publication look so much more professional but will free up your time to concentrate purely on sales and getting a bigger revenue by selling more ad pages!.

Don't be afraid of cost either, for a monthly publication you will find small design companies or freelancers only to happy to negotiate on fees provided they know they will be doing it each month... for example my fee for design and layout per page of the mag I produce is £10 plus vat... the fee my client pays more than outweighs the many many all nighters spent on her pc at home in the run up to press day!

If anyone is interested in finding out more about this, or maybe the design factor has been putting you off starting your mag, then get in touch. I work very simply with my client currently over email and phone so location isn't a concern... you can email me on hello @ gemmawalters.co.uk (take out the spaces) for more info...

Gemma