This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Where to begin?

I've been thinking about starting a photographic art business - fine art photographs - me being the photographer. I know there can be a lot of these about - but this would be a side business with me still working part time as I am at the moment.

I have art photography qualifications (only a GCSE) and realise that this isnt exactly a niche area. I would be looking to have the business online and do craft fairs with framed prints, cards and calendars - the cards and prints being possibly sold in local shops where i can get the market!

I just don't know how or where to begin, or how to set up a business online or otherwise.

Any tips would be useful!!

Georgina
Connector
Hi Georgina,

Setting this up while working is a good idea, as your job will provide you with finance for the business, as well as security should it not work out.

I think a good place to start would be by building up your portfolio of work, ie taking the types of photographs people want to buy. Have you conducted any market research to find out what people want, how much they're prepared to pay, etc?

A website will be useful for showcasing your work, but personally, I would start out locally, building up a portfolio and reputation before branching out into the world of ecommerce. The website would be a way of marketing yourself and your work.

When you registered with Shell Livewire, did you select the Business Opportunity Profile (BOP) on setting up as a Photographer? This will contain alot of useful information about the business.

Lee