This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
quick web site question

I would like (hopefully) to get a simple 1 page web site up and running quickly then teach myself more about web site design.

I've registered a domian with a 123-reg, created a web page with microsoft office, and I've got some free web space with my virgin (pay as you go, dial up) account.

My question is - can I use the freespace to host my web page using the domain name I have registered?

If it can be dones quickly and and easily please let me know as it will save me some time and money!

cheers

Jit
Connector
With hosting from £30 a year I would personally avoid 'free webspace'

The free element often comes at a cost - banner adverts on your site, creating revenue for the person/company offering the webspace.

For personal sites this is fine, but for a business it is not only annoying (popups etc), but in many cases looks unprofessional too.

There are a large number of webhosts here on Shell, and I am sure you will get a varied response regarding service and prices etc too.

I use 2 hosts (one offers a great price - but little service, the other offers excellent service and competitive prices)

You need to look beyond the prices, and ask 'which host gives me the best package?'
Package refers to support, useability, their back end (eg Helm) and auxillary services (eg domains, design, secure sites, optimisation ...)

Hope this is of help to you.

Business Consultancy @ Inzvestor
Stationery-Direct.co.uk's Avatar Stationery-Direct.co.uk Stationery-Direct.co.uk is offline
Connector
I agree with Glen on one hand, but, on the other, if you are starting a new business and do not want to invest much money at first and you are just testing the water then I do not see any problem with using free webspace. Most re-directing companies such as 123-reg will direct traffic to your website free of charge and with URL masking there is no need for the customer to know it is being hosted in free webspace.

I ran a ver y successful business for 5 years using my Freeserve webspace and re-directing via my domain name company, freeserve (now wanadoo) did not have any banners or pop-ups at all. Some people say that getting listed on search engines is difficult this way but I had no problems.

I have now just moved to proper hosting 5 years down the line and I am happy that I started off as I did.
Stationery-Direct.co.uk's Avatar Stationery-Direct.co.uk Stationery-Direct.co.uk is offline
Connector
Just had another re-read of the post, It also depends what kind of website you need, mine was basic html with no bells or whistles, if you need cgi script etc etc then some free webspace providers do not allow certain things.

As Glen pointed out hosting has come down a lot over the years and for the sake of £30 proper hosting is the way to go.
Connector
This is a little biased but bear with me

As the guys have pointed out above, free web space providers are not really the best way to host any kind of business related site. They are fine for a personal home page but nothing else really... Here's why:

1 - Your site will be hosted in a shared environment with literally thousands of other sites. As the hosting is free, the provider will jam as many sites as they can onto one box to keep costs down. This leads to a slow server and a higher possibility of downtime

2 - You will have some form of advertising forced upon your site. There are some that don't but most will add banners or pop-ups somewhere to generate cash

3 - You will be limited in what you can do with the account. You may find that you cannot grow or used more advanced technologies such as MySQL if you wanted to at a later stage.

4 - Your web address will look very unprofessional. e.g. http://www.freespace.com/mywebsite. If you have your own domain name they will place your site content into a frame which will affect search engines and users.

5 - The space and traffic transfer on a free web space account is often quite limited so you can't grow.

6 - When you decide to move to a paid service it will be a hassle to move everything unless you know what you're doing or your new host helps you.

7 - Little or no support. I can pretty much guarantee that you will not be able to pick up the phone and ask for help. Most free providers will only offer email support or a community forum where you will have to rely on other members for support who don't actually have any access to the servers.

Like I said, I am slightly biased as I offer hosting plans from £30 per year but IMHO that £30 per year goes a hell of a long way when you have a problem or you want to make the most out of your site.