This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Photography Set-up

Hi
I've started a business in photography, and I'm looking for some help from other photographers out there.
At the moment I'm using a pro-sumer digital camera (Fuji S7000), which is great, but I am looking to upgrade to a digital slr soon. I'm needing some help in what's the best kit to go for as my budget is really tight. I'm looking at doing marketing shots for local small businesses, and also I do landscape and macro photography for my card business. I'm a bit worried at the moment of going to clients and not looking professional as my camera doesn't look very professional and whether this may scare them off and not take me seriously. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 girl 1 dog - Unique Photography from Perth and Kinross
Connector
i think you'll find more advice on...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

That's where I've revieved a lot of useful info, and you should get allyour answers there- from the pro's!
Excellent, that's the type of thing I've been looking for.
Thanks

Connector
I've got the same camera! What do you think of the quality of the images from it? I took it, a UV and polarising filter to Alaska with 1.25gb of CF cards this summer and managed to get some reasonable photos.

I've heard lots of good stuff about the Canon digital SLRs that start at about £650 upwards of thousands.

I'm not lazy. I just can't be arsed to do pointless things.

- syIT Amazon Tools - Increase your Amazon Associates revenue using webservices without the hassle.
- HotSpotter - UK Wireless Networking Portal
- Jam Shop - Buy quality preserves and marmalades
- Audiologue.com - Online HiFi and Home Cinema Shop

The image quality on the S7000 is brilliant, if you use the RAW setting. It does mean big files, but is well worth it for the quality. I am wanting to upgrade as I need interchangeable lenses for landscape work. The macro on my fuji is brill and the detail is excellent. I would heartily recommend it to anyone and I think I'll keep it as a good back-up.

Connector
I had a client recently who was getting photography done and a photographer who they had used a lot in the past could not do the job but recommended someone else who used to be their assistant.

The quote came through and included digital slr camera rental. While their previous work was good, they had been recommended and the quote was good - they did not get the contract as the client was worried that if they rented the camera then they would not be familiar with it and so the end result might not be so good.

So the photographer almost got the contract but were let down by the equipment or lack off - important to be able to be able to do the work but also important to "look the part" - sounds silly but it gives clients more confindence in ability. Comes down to appearing professional.

DN
Connector
hmmm, 6.3 megapixel them S7000 cameras are. Do you need an upgrade or is it just something you want?

What magapixel will the new camera you get be around?
i'm looking at canon 350d or 20d, or possibly nikon d100 as there's lots of good deals on them at the mo. the megapixel isn't the problem, it's how good and robust it'll be and how practical it will be as would like it to last a couplle of years.

Entrepreneur
I love the 350D and i rate them over the Nikons, iv not used them alot but when i was sales leader at dixons i sold a ton of them, and id say for each 1 Nikon i sold i would sell 10 of the 300/350D!!

The image quality i took with the canon was amazing!

We are planing on going on a safari next year and my dad wanted to know which digital SLR to buy and without question i told him to get the canon 350D!

http://www.topfishingtips.co.uk/

Entrepreneur
just to add dont buy it from dixons or jessops as im sure you know u will pay alot more for them!

But i would suggest going in and getting them both out and handle them! i found the canon so much more comfortable and solid feeling in my hands!

There was a deal with both the canon and i believe the nikon earlier this year, where you got either a half price or a free 1gb card with the camera, and i believe a £100 cash back with the canon, but im assuming this offer has now ended...

Hope this help...!?

http://www.topfishingtips.co.uk/

Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by 1girl1dog
i'm looking at canon 350d or 20d, or possibly nikon d100 as there's lots of good deals on them at the mo. the megapixel isn't the problem, it's how good and robust it'll be and how practical it will be as would like it to last a couplle of years.
Ahh, I see. I have some kodak cameras here, they arnt bad and have lasted a long time. They are by no means excellent but good for the reason I need them. I like taking photos of everything and anything. Every photo has a story.

Oh and nice logo too.

Connector
A lot depends on.....

.... how you intend to market your business.

If you plan to visit local businesses and show them your work, leave the cam at home. By the time you arrive to do the job, it`s too late.

As long as you produce the goods, the customer won`t care what camera you used.

If you are turning up on spec camera in hand to do the job NOW, that`s a different matter.

A friend of mine had a garage, just inside the door he had a crypton tuning machine ( a big box with dials and wires hanging off it), you put the wires on different parts of the engine and it tells you lots of stuff.

he never actually used it, he didn`t need to he was a very goof mechanic, he only brought it because people `Expected` to see one.

If you feel the need to carry round a big camera with a big lens, take an old 35mm camera, get the job then whip out the digital and take the pics.

Most people don`r know the difference between cameras anyway.

Good luck
PS Anyone found a use for those masts you fit on the back of your car that allow you to take pucs from 35-50 feet in the air (apart fro real estate)????
Connector
hehe, most people dont. It is almost certain someone will ask "not still using a 35 are you". What do you say to that, "nope its just for show, so I get the job".

I always say be honest. Best policy as they say.

Oh, and a use for those masts is if you have to take a pic that has alot of depth and more height that a person could see over. Such as a street full of football supporters or something. So you could see just how many people there are there. All you would see otherwise from ground level without standing on cars is the front few rows.

Connector
I agree......

..... I didn`t suggest being anything other than honest. If anyone had said yo my friend "are you going to use that machine to tune my car" he wuld have said "No".
No one ever asked, they just assumed.

If you arrive at a business with gear, show them some great pics and offer to do the same for them, they are not going to say "what camera are you going to use" or "are you going to use that 35mm camera" or "are there any more cameras you have access to"

As long as you produce the goods, they won`t care how you did it, believe me.

I went to a wedding recently with my Canon 10d `L` lens and superb flashgun on top, looked fantastic. The official photographer had a very old and worn 35mm Nikon. Mine looked much more impressive, he took by far the best pictures.
Connector
hehe, yeah I agree there. It dosnt matter what tools you have aslong as you produce the goods. Very true.

Why did you think the 35mm took better pics?. Could you put your finger on why they were better?

All I keep hearing as advice from photographers when I ask questions is the most important things are the angle and the light. Is this true in everyone elses eyes or is there anything more important than that?