This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Guru
The Crisp Sandwich Company!!!

Hi

Last year while backpacking myself and a friend managed to survive for quite a few weeks on a diet of...yes you guessed it.....crsip sandwiches!

Now having digested lots of these I have begun thinking that their could be a market for this kind of thing. I have watched lots of people at work dismantle their sarnies only to apply a handful of there favourite crisps!

what do you guys think ?

They would be supplied on a range of breads/fillings and a variety of crisps ( not quite come up with all combinations yet )

Also how do u think the best way to sell these would be ? the traditional way by selling to shops and deli's or does this novelty idea warrant a shop all of its own!

any feedback would be cool!
Regards
Baz
Connector
Won't the crisps go soggy after a while because of the fillings in the pre-packed container ?

And if they don't go soggy what's the benifit over buying a sandwich and a pack of crisps at my local shop and doing it myself like you said...

Your competing for shelf-space here and both are already on the shelves.

Martin
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
Won't the crisps go soggy after a while because of the fillings in the pre-packed container ?
Guru
not necessarily. Clearly this would be an issue but i'd be very confident of over coming it thru trial and error. Maybe fillings with less 'soggyness' could be used of possibly a more resiliant crisp such as a dorito or corn chips.
Connector
Man....crisp sndwiches take me back to school days!!
I reckon that people would love this sort of thing BUT it may be a novelty...not something that they might have everyday.
Saying that, I'd buy them!!

Would you do them with Space Raiders or Jaws crisps?

Everythingink.co.uk - for all your printing consumables

Tartan Pixels - Buy, sell, edit and move pixels. Pixels YOU control!
Connector
Yeah.... A hard one... But you know what to do dont yer?

Get down the shop and buy a few loafs of bread, loads of fillings, loads of crisps and some tupperware containers and put it to the test.

Keep each in the fridge for a few days as there chilled in the shops to keep fresh.

Hopefully it works, if it don't it's back to the drawing board

All the best

Martin
Guru
Thanks people.

I think i'll have to get myself down tesco's.

p.s space raiders rock.
Connector
still say soggy
Connector
I think something like this could potentialy have its own shop- like coffee bars, tea shops, bakeries.

I went to an EAT in London near the Thames once and you could order a 'custom made sandwich'. If you did this kind of thing, you don't have to worry about soggyness, and customers may like it more because they get to pick and mix all the fillings etc.
Connector
I have an answer to the soggyness issue. I think you are all thinking of fillings when maybe you should be thinking of a powder type flavouring additive. I dont know of any such additives but there must be some somewhere.

You may not need any fillings because the flavour comes from the crisps and so does the texture. Everyone has made crisp sandwiches at one point so everyone knows what they are. I havnt seen any anywhere, maybe your onto a winner there. Maybe there is a market for novilty foods. I would buy them. Im wondering how much it would cost to make 10 sarnies.

I think if you did have fillings then the above post comments are spot on. Shop would be ideal. Subway also do whatever you like, they even suggest things to you while you wait that arnt on the menus.
Connector
Soggyness will be a big problem.

I like crisps like Macoys which have a good "curve" on them for scooping up baked beans and always thought of opening a restaurant with my own strange meals.

As a vending operator, I would be happy to look at any new range of sandwich subject to the usual quality and safety levels being met.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Connector
You may also be able to get in partnership with a Crisp manufacturer...though you'd only be able to use their crisps it may help you in your intial stages and give you access to all sorts of crisp making facts and info.

www.whosfordinner.com - London's coolest dinner dating site!

www.simonewilliams.co.uk - Sophisticated Ladieswear fashion
Connector
Crisp sandwiches love em, soggy crisps will be the problem, but no one seems to moan when cucumber makes the bread go soggy!!

Ham, Ready Salted Crips and a red sauce are my favourite.
Connector
I love crisp sandwiches, my favourite being crisps and mayo on french baguette however I do think they would be soggy, infact I find even towards the end of the sandwich they are starting to go soggy (maybe I shouldn't eat such big sandwiches) . I get the point about noone complaiing about cucumber but crisps by nature should be crispy not soggy, otherwise they'd be called soggs!

How about a pack of sandwiches with air sealed crisps included, just the right amount to add to your sandwich rather than a whole pack??

Sarah
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by Bumptastic

How about a pack of sandwiches with air sealed crisps included, just the right amount to add to your sandwich rather than a whole pack??

Sarah
Yeah Sarah, I was just thinking along them lines... It's a good idea..

A bit like them Kids Cheese & Biscuits things ( I forget the name but you see them on TV all the time)

A little packet of something crunchy (Hell it doesn't have to be crisps) would be rather cool and different...

This idea is really starting to take shape.