This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Entrepreneur
What about hygiene issues? will you be wearing gloves, proper clothing? you have to look clean! I don't usually buy from people who sell hotdogs on the streets but If I did they would have to look clean and tidy, what guarantee can YOU give the customer that your food is 100% safe to consume?

maybe as promotion you could ask one of your friends to dress up in a hot dog costume? LOL I'm not making fun of you just trying to give u some other ideas.

cheers!
Guru
I have seen severall comapanies already about the cart but have not been happy about the quality they provide and as it is going to go on a bike i need to have a custom unit made, I am going to see www.towability.co.uk tommorow about having a unit made, as they have done simalar things before.

The unit will consist in basic of a box made of swirley stainless steel with doors on the front, a bain marie and other cubby holes for buns etc, a lid that i can pull down over the top to seal it all off and lock up. The unit will be made to corrgi standards for the gas.

It will also have a small portable wash basin that is a bit like a big flask you fill it up with hot water in the morning as it has a sink on the side that flips down with a tap behind it and then as you push the sink back upinto postion all the water drains into a section in the bottom.

But there will also be a sort of soap dispeser that you put on your hands and rub in and you do not need water, I have seen this but am unsure of the name, but should be able to find out what is called from towability (any ideas anyone?)

And the first aod kit and fire extinguisher of course.

As for insurance I have had a look round and i think i will join www.MOCA.org.uk as in there member ship about 300 a year, 5 million insurance is part of the package along with a food hygine course.

As for wastage yeah that is a LOT of money but i should be able to freeze any left over to use the next morning.

I really like the idea of the stabed baggets and will look into this further although i asume this will be more expensive.

Onions i can do these at home and getting the kitchen looked at is no problem but if i need to i can buy ready done chopped ones form westler although this is quite expensive.

As for storage, for just over 100 a month i can get a 24/7 room big enough for the bike and some shelves to store the tins. This will be in battersea which is about a 3 or 4 miles bike ride to central london, so i hope to get really fit at the same time as well )

As for image this is the most important thing i would like to get some jackets or fleces with some westler or hot dog branding but I am not sure where i can get these from as i will only require 1 or 2 of the jacket and a 4 or 5 of t-shirts and jumpers, any ideas?

I would love to have someone in a hot dog costume any takers?

Thanks for all your input, it is really helping to get thinks going in the right direction. And you can all have a free hot dog.*

*subject to you having nine paying freinds
Guru
Oh yeah a couple of other things, displaying my certificate of food hygine and insurance on the cart for all to see, i think this might boost customer confidance.

I would really like to have a regular spot so i can get reapeat biz.

Sorry for my poor spelling, bad grammer and gibberish. I could spell check but lifes to short.
Guru
hmmm

Well i have been to see towability this morning, but unfortunatley they are not really intrested in the idea unless i want 5 or more but got lots of ideas of them.

Another company is sending me some information on thier carts that they make here so i will see if it is somthing they can help me with.

Onwards and upwards though
Entrepreneur
I once worked at one of Bristol's biggest tourist venues selling ice creams. one bank holiday they got out the big ice cream trike cart things that could be pushed around or set on a pitch.

It also had riding capbilites. It seemed like a good idea at the time to give it a spin. Bearing in mind this is a monster bike to support the weight of the cart it picked up a good speed going down a slope. the thing wouldnt stop coz it was too heavy and it plowed into a group of tourists and children before coming to rest in a flower bed.

My friends kindly covered up the fact that I had mowed down a large group of tourists and i didnt receice my p45 for another year.

The moral of the story is that these things are big, and heavy. Hills and slopes are best avoided whilst in control of them. Never ride them it ends in disater. You do get a lot of custom for them in the right seasons and if people are rude to you you can roll it over their feet (joke)
Guru
Yikes, I am going to have to watch out for that. Its also one of the reson i am buying a modern bike with hydarolic brakes.

As for the unit I have found a company that makes hotdogs carts allready that can make me one custom to fit the bike and it is everything I am looking for and cheaper than what i have been quoted allready, so the unit should cost 1600 to 1800 with sink bain marie gas the lot.

But then i need to spend another few hundred for stuff like a soap dispensor, first aid kit, boxes etc, and also a canopy from www.zappumbrellas.com

All going great though and also found i can rent a lock up garages for about 80 a month in waterloo so no need to worry about where to park my bike like i would with 24/7 storage centre.