This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
just an idea

Hi. I am due to start college this autumn, and have been turned down at every opportunity for a job becuase i am a prospective student, and not available 'full time'. So i have had an idea to make a little extra money in the meantime by offering a typing service - CV's, essays, that sort of thing.

What do you think? My 2 biggest worries are how to price it, and whether to register as self-employed or not, since it will most likely only add up to a couple of hours each week - if that. I have been told before that my typing speed (35-40 wpm on a good day) is fast, near secretrial, and i have plenty of experience on Word, Works, etc, etc.

After college i am looking to go into book-keeping/accounts self-employed, and think this might be a good chance to get to grips with the very basics of working from home.

Any extra advice would be very much appreciated.
Connector
I am amazed when I hear and see adverts for "a hard working recent graduate with a 2:1 or above wanted as an administrator for busy packing factory - 14K per year"

No reason for needing a graduate and with such low wages they will be lucky to get anyone at all but it is a funny jobs market.

Even fast food restaurants seem to want people to work for the rest of their life on minimum wage.

You are probably meant to register as self employed but I doubt people in your situation do.

As for pricing you need to see what others are offering and what the market will accept.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Maven
Re: just an idea

Quote:
Originally posted by littlespider
Hi. I am due to start college this autumn, and have been turned down at every opportunity for a job becuase i am a prospective student, and not available 'full time'. So i have had an idea to make a little extra money in the meantime by offering a typing service - CV's, essays, that sort of thing.

Where are you located?

Regards,
Richard
Starting Out
I am in Knightswood - just on the outskirts of Glasgow. Still living at home.
Connector
Hi LittleSpider,

I work as a Virtual PA which is probably what you're wanting to do! (even if you didn't know it yet!). A lot of Virtual PAs work from home, although I chose to work from my own office.

My understanding is that as long as you don't earn over 79/week on average throughout the year then you don't need to register for tax. (Do NOT take my word as gospel on this - check with www.hmrc.gov.uk). You will probably have to pay National Insurance contributions as a self-employed person.

You're ideally placed for working from home, as presumably because you live with your parents they aren't charging you huge amounts of rent.

This work is a bit sporadic - it's not a regular income, especially if you are working part-time if you're a student. But you'll be pleasantly surprised by the variety of the work - I'd recommend visiting www.vanetworking.com & www.virtualassistantbusiness.com for more info & ideas!

Good luck!
Caroline
Connector
Re: just an idea

Quote:
Originally posted by littlespider

What do you think? My 2 biggest worries are how to price it, and whether to register as self-employed or not, since it will most likely only add up to a couple of hours each week - if that. I have been told before that my typing speed (35-40 wpm on a good day) is fast, near secretrial, and i have plenty of experience on Word, Works, etc, etc.

After college i am looking to go into book-keeping/accounts self-employed, and think this might be a good chance to get to grips with the very basics of working from home.

A fellow Glaswegian! Awright big yin!

I think this is a good idea and quite a few students do the same thing. There should be lots orf opportunities during term time where students would rather be out boozing than typing a 10 page essay.
You could also use this as an chance to make contacts etc for when you get into book keeping and also break yourself easily into self employment.

I am thinking of making up a list of companies that can offer students discounted goods and services and would distribute them at Glasgow and Strathclyde uni etc - drop me an email if you fancy more details.

Good luck with it

Everythingink.co.uk - for all your printing consumables

Tartan Pixels - Buy, sell, edit and move pixels. Pixels YOU control!
Entrepreneur
I was gonna do something like that once and put up adverts in Unis and Colleges and I was gonna charge about a quid/per page.