This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Lap Tops and Quark Training, Publishing

Is there any IT genius who can advise me on lap top specification required to run quark 6 and for general use in publishing a magazine?

Does anyone know of a good, cheap Quark training facility - college, book, online facility. I have been on Beginners.co.uk and looked on Amazon at teach yourself type books, but would welcome some advice. In fact, if anyone has advice on any training for magazine publishing I would like to hear it.

Thanks
Starting Out
quark 6

I presume you are talking about QuarkXPress 6, if not then ignore this post. The specifications required for this program are:

For Mac OS
Software
Mac OS X v10.3 or later
Hardware
CD-ROM drive for installation
Minimum 128MB total RAM
230MB available hard disk space for QuarkXPress installation
TCP/IP network for site license (using Quark License Administrator)

or

For Windows
Software
Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP
Hardware
CD-ROM drive for installation
Minimum 128MB total RAM
190MB available hard disk space for installation
TCP/IP network for site license (using Quark License Administrator)

Also this website http://apex.vtc.com/quark6.php will learn you how to use it for $30.00 i think.
Hope that helps on the quark front.
Starting Out
I recommend using the Mac OS, I have used Quark and Indesign on both the Mac & Windows OS and I can say I experience fewer headaches with Mac.
I Regard to Training it depends on what exactly U want Publishing or to be more exact Publishing Design.

Most design software including Quark Xpress and indesign(which I prefer) come with Tutorial onboard or online.
Try their website.

Most Local Colleges run short courses on Publishing and design. Evening courses as well.

Rather than Learning to an advance level you might employ/delegate a Graphic designer for your publishing.

Yes I will recommend U spend as much time to learn the ropes before you dive in moreover don't loose your inspiration in the process of learning
Good Luck