This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Multimedia Gateway

Potentially i am looking to start a buisness focusing at two individual points, the first being that of a Multimedia Buisness, creating and selling websites, cd-roms and graphical based mediums within the local and national area hopefully in time expanding to other areas of multimedia. The second is two focus on opening a gateway for graduates within the local area bring fresh new idea creators into this industry which apprently is not commercially viable within the area i live. Giving them an opportunity to gain the experience needed before moving to bigger industries, this part of the idea could potentially work as an agency scheme working with univesity's within the area. Does this idea sound pontentially and commercially viable? and if so what next?
Connector
Hi,

Multi-media is a fiercely competitive industry at this moment in time; you only have to look on our Discussion Forum to see how many people are setting up these types of business. The key is obviously to have a great portfolio of work, a unique selling point (USP) to make your business stand out from the crowd, and to network like crazy in order to get your name known to as many people as possible.

With regard to your second idea, I'm not sure how viable it is, as there are schemes currently running that connect graduates to small businesses.

Lee
Starting Out
Ovbviously there is much comptetition for this type of buisness but how many of these cater for usability and accessibility functionality of websites and other mediums? On looking at the local buisnesses there seems to be many amature based companies relying on old codes and conventions of coding giving the customer low quality services at rediculous charges. As with any buisness those buisnesses that last are the ones that put the customer berfore themselves, if advise is given to me that there is not much work within the local area for this type of practice perhaps that needs to be addressed?

Regarding the second opportunity, yes there are schemes operating to bring graduates straight into work but of the few graduates parted from the year above few have found work suggesting that people want to see experience aswell. the idea of this would be to take on graduates to work within the company until which time they are ready to move on giving them hands on experience something which many companies rely on.
Connector
Hi,

An obvious problem here is that you're not just going to be competing with other local businesses - in effect, you're competing not only with UK firms, but businesses located virtually anywhere in the world. I agree with you on the accessibility issue - many designers don't seem to include this in their service - however, until the Government starts enforcing this by law, many businesses will continue to 'cut corners' when it comes to web design.

As for the second idea, I still can't see how you would make any money from this - who will pay you? The business? Or the graduate? I'm guessing the former, but why would they take the risk - surely they'd either hire someone with experience, outsource the work to a reputable company, or simply take on an under-graduate for a fixed term of work experience.

Lee
Starting Out
so what would you recommend? yes there is alot of competition but are you saying one more ultimeida buisness is to many. There are lots of of comptetion globally and nationally but the original focus would be my local area, viewing local competion and there portflios leav es much to be desired for perhaps im being incorrect by putting the clients needs first. One area of preactive i would love to focus at is taking exisitng website and re developing them, sitting down with clients and going through the implications of the wrongs and rights of the present website.

the second perhaps your right and the implications would be costly, cost that no one wish to pay but forming an alliance with the university and working with them closely would encourage graduates to join the company and also give students an idea of the working world.
Starting Out
apologies for typing errors speed typing and dyslexia dont work to well!
Connector
Hi,

What I would recommend is doing some market research - you need to be able to prove that there is a need for your proposed business. You've already identified some of your competitors, and some of of your potential customers, so you've made a start with this already! You need to find out who will use your service, and how much they are prepared to pay - one thing I have noticed is that many small businesses want to spend as little as possible on their websites!

Lee
Starting Out
how would you propose to do this?
Connector
Hi,

Questionnaire is one of the simplest ways of conducting market research - you can do this both on and off line. You may find it useful to take a look through the articles in the following section of the Shell LiveWIRE site:

http://www.shell-livewire.org/beyour...=9&subcatid=17

Lee