This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

selling goods overseas via eBay

Hello!

I am planning to set-up as a sole trader.
I intend to work from home as an 'alternative' dressmaker / independent fashion designer.
I intend to sell my products online via eBay, and I would like to sell to customers worldwide....do i have to obtain an export licence or are there any export laws / legal obligations I should be aware of ?

Also, I will be using both new and used fabrics to create my clothing + accessories, (some of these fabrics will be purchased from charity shops/marketplaces)...since I will not be 100% sure of the fibre content of all my products how do I go about labelling them ?

Thank you !
Connector
Hi,

With regard to licenses, no, I don't think you will need one. The Business Link website offers the following information:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...cId=1074185375

The following article also contains useful information and links to other sources:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...mId=1073792494

In addition, I would also recommend contacting HM Revenue and Customs (previously know as HM Customs and Excise, and the Inland Revenue), who will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do in order to meet any legal obligations.

Lee