This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
E-commerce web site - Help Wanted

Hi
I am intrested in setting up a website offering restaurants of all types an online ordering service (Don't want to give to much away as yet) and was wondering the cost of designing and setup of the site.

Also, once the site is up and running, how easy would it be to change products prices etc. the basic info on the site needs to come from a database and I only have a little knowledge of web design so it needs to be easy to update.

Thanks

Rick
Maven
Hi There

Are you after just a site that allows u to reserve a few resturant or do you want a large site with reviews of resturants like this hotel site http://www.hotelnet.co.uk is it a national site or just a little local site.

Regards

Chris
info@chilleddesign.com

http://www.chilledhosting.com
Connector
Hi Richard. You going to have to be a little bit more specific in order to obtain a quote. How many resturants will you cater for? Does each one need an ordering facility? (ecommerce) Or you just want 1 main ecommerce section, with resturants branched off.

How will the payment be processed? By yourself, who will then pass on these details to the relevant restaurant, or by the resturant themselves?

Will you be actually offering/ marketing this service to the restaurant trade and then quoting them for an ecommerce site and then passing on the development work?

We can offer an ecommerce site build around oscommerce, which has a catalog front end and an admin backend to configure the cart. This can be linked to either some shared SSL space (our own) or with a payment provider/ merchant bank. Price is £200 per cart.

Have a look at our demo site (http://osdemo.designrweb.co.uk) for a better idea of how oscommerce looks.

Regards
Design R Web Solutions
Entrepreneur
reccomendation

Hi Rick,

I have had 2 sites managed and designed by a design company I use and would reccomend. They are very good value for money (prob cheapest, yet great service and expertise).

Drop me a line and i'll pass you thier contact details.

They are currently inundated for thier dervice, so actually dont want or need advertsing at the moment!

Karl
kal27@hotmail.com
Connector
Web Developers Abilities

Many web developers are able to provide websites that are professionally designed that you will be able to update very simply yourself.
Starting Out
I would not go ahead with that business idea Richard. I am telling you this as 2 years ago myself and the company I ran decided to move out of webdevelopment into making a few branded sites for public use. One was an online take away service. We were offering 10 ways to order with a predicted outlet signup of 1000 per quarter. One method of delivery of the order and reciept was going to be sms. What we then needed was a way to do this, we devloped a system to enable this within 2 months the next thing we needed was aditional funding.

We used the business angel and VC route but to no luck we were told by leading business people who had invested in website ideas and been stung for it, to stay clear of business-comsumer website ideas. They told us in definate terms that no one will invest in such ideas and the sheare costs involved to become operationally profitable and not viable at all.

We used that info and had a rethink we were told that business to business online services are growing and the costs an nominal compaired with business to comsumer. We have now taken the idea of sms messaging and business to business to services and modifed the original idea into something realted but that will succeed and are now looking for funding.

My point is think hard!...test the water...and if in doubt change direction, and just keep trying!

Aaron
Richard,

There's two reasons I wouldn't recommend you going ahead with the idea:

1) The restaurant industry is still behind in terms technology sophistication

2) There are already some major sites catering for the restaurant industry, ome being www.toptable.co.uk (recently bought by Diageo)
Entrepreneur
Not sure if this might help but in Bristol there is a delivery service from restaurants called ringbring.com. They are targeted quite heavily at students. Where u thinking of something similar? They seem to be doing OK and have been about for a couple of years now.
Guru
Hi Richard

It's also worth having a look at www.homediner.com who are doing something similar.

Z