This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Internet business wanting to expand

hi everyone.
i'm very new here only joined up today but found this great forum and i've been sat reading through everything and found some really usefull info and some very valid opinions.

what i myself would like to ask everyone about is expanding my internet business.

i started my own web site selling modern collectables, coupling this with ebay selling it's helped quite a bit but i am stuck with just one product which isn't enough the other products i am wanting to get hold of i can't have without first having an actual retail store, so for the past 2 months i've been looking around to find a nice little shop where i could set up and have the shop there just for show and turn itself over while in the meantime i can put all the new products on our web site, of course the shop turning itself over would be wonderful and making a profit would be great.

i'm a bit apprehensive about it all because it would mean taking out a loan and with the current elected party i'm quite worried abotu what they are going to do with regards to income tax etc and how hard it's going to become to make a living.
i don't want to be a millionaire just want to make a living and support my family but are my plans best left for a while or would it be a good idea to get on with it and go for it?

be great to hear back form any of you.
thanks
ben
Connector
What products are you after Im sure someone on here could help you to get the products without having a shop. Then if in the future they go well then set up your shop.
Starting Out
well thing is i already know how well these things sell i've done the research i'm after things like me to you bears, the turds etc, all modern collectables.
Connector
My wife collects them, I can ask around a few companys I know to see if anyone can help you out. Though I am sure if you put some figures together and pitch it to the man companys they won't fail to let you sell them on your website. As for setting up your own retail shop it can be hard and will be hard but if you set out your business plan properly and stick to it you shouldn't have to many problems. Always make time for your family I have they will understand what your trying to do and support you. Just remember you will be self employed if your not already and there is things like family tax credit e.t.c. to give you a weekly income should one week your a bit short to pay yourself wages.

I will stop going on now and wish you all the luck for the future.
Starting Out
these companies don't really care what proposals you put to them, i've told them that i'm selling a large amount of another collectable and will be able to do the same with their products but when you say you only have an online store the next thing you hear is "oh thats going to be a problem then" because most of these companies have policies about trading with online retailers. i've tried every way i can think of to try and get the stock but now it seems that this is the only way i can possibly do it.
i've found a nice little shop thats still in the process of being built and it's only £2500 a year £208 a month which is the cheapest i have found and i'm just thinking well if the shop can turn over for itself and then i've got the stock i want to put ont he web site then all is good and well it's a means to an end really.
i have rang my bank to see what they would do with regards to a business loan and the apr is 10% which i thought to be a bit high really does anyone else think the same? and is there anywhere else i could try for a cheaper loan? that anyone could reccomend at all?

on a slightly different note would anyone happen to know where in the uk there are some cloths warehouses that sell trade to retailers? mainly plus sized clothing? my better half wants to open her own site (after she's slaved me to build it) selling plus sized cloths but sourcing them is harder than can be. any tips anyone as to where to look?

thanks
ben
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by manberries

i've found a nice little shop thats still in the process of being built and it's only £2500 a year £208 a month which is the cheapest i have found
are you sure you haven't accidently knocked a '0' off the end of the yearly fig ? I'm not sure where you're based,but I've never seen commercial rent that low (??! ) what are the rates like?
Starting Out
i'm sure i didn't miss a 0 off the end of it, it's not a very big shop only small and it's down a side ally which is just being re-done and won't be ready for about another month or so.
i take it that the rent is a good price then?
the rates are around £1000 if i remember rightly. give or take.