This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
discount card scheme

Hi,

Does anyone know of any existing discount card schemes or the mechanics of setting one up?

I have an idea for one, but I need info in order to evaluate whether it will work.

any ideas?

cheers

Rick
Maven
I helped set up a discount scheme which has been fairly successful.

It's a little difficult to give you much info without knowing a bit about what you're planning, for example whether you're just planning on offering discounts on your own products/services or those of other businesses as well, whether subscribers will need to pay to join (and businesses for that matter), whether membership cards will need to be personalised, and whether this is online or offline.

The bottom line is the same as always - if the potential subscriber believes there will be some benefit to them then they will join.

Gary

Managed Web
Website Maintenance Services
www.managedweb.com
Entrepreneur
reply to gary

Hi Gary,

thanks for the quick response, I intend to obtain discounts from other businesses and then pass them on to a membership for a fee.

If you have any info with regard to what I intend to do or any comments, suggestions then all help is welcome.

cheers

Rick
Maven
Discount scheme

Hi Rick,

Would the business owners have to pay a fee to join you? How about the members, how much would you charge them and what type of discounts they receive?

What type of services will they be offering for discounts?

Good luck.
Maven
I'll repeat my previous point so that you can base what you're doing on that:

The bottom line is the same as always - if the potential subscriber believes there will be some benefit to them then they will join. This applies equally to the business and the consumer.

So, decide what it is you're selling, who you're selling it to and why they would want it and then you can get started.

The biggest problem I can foresee is how you will overcome the fact that most large companies have their own rewards scheme (and many smaller businesses as well) so you're not going to get them on board easily, if at all. That leaves small businesses, but your consumers are only going to sign up if the businesses you have on board are the ones they want to use - believe me that is very difficult!

As you're not likely to get any household names initially that will attract consumers, it's probably best to work in a specific area eg a specific location or group of people. That way it's a lot easier to attract the businesses they use already, and therefore they will sign up because you've got their shops on board.

My other advice would be: either the business pays or the consumer pays, but not both. Ideally the businesses join free - after all, they are what is going to attract customers.

HTH.

Gary

Managed Web
Website Maintenance Services
http://www.managedweb.com