This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Using personal address for registered address

Hi there, I have a question relating to using personal address as the company registered address. From the point of view of my council, if I have a company that has the registered address as my home address, but no business is conducted there, can I be liable for business rates or anything else that may cause me a problem? Is it perfectly legal to use my personal address simply as a company registered address (i.e. to receive companys house forms), and not incur charges or any problems in the future? Many thanks in advance for your help
Connector
Hi,

It is my understanding that you can actually use a PO Box address for the address of your company, should you so wish (see question 7 in the below link):

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/inf...rNewComp.shtml

This may be the best way of avoiding any confusion with your local council (and mortgage provider, insurance company, etc).

Lee
Lee, thank you for your comment. The only issue I would have with using a PO Box number, is that it is easy and legal to find out the address from a PO Box number (I believe Post Office will give details if asked). In any case, is not a secure system. And so it would still be possible to say that as post was being sent to that address, it was being used as a "business address", then to pay for the privilege seems daft. What I wanted to know, was whether it would be legal or not, from the perspective of being seen to be using an address as a trading address, and what liabilities it may incur. My enquiry to the Companies House helpline said that a lot of people who use /check the company register don't understand the difference between registered address and trading address. My enquiry to the council to ask whether they would consider that as a trading address, is that if a room in the property is used solely for business, which in this postulated case, it wouldn't be, then it would be considered as a trading address and liable for business rates. It would therefore appear that this is a grey area. For instance from a freelance journalists point of view, or a "home business", where is the line drawn as to whether "trading" is occurring or not? What I would like to know is the exact legal position on this issue, so I don't fall foul of regulation. Any comments would be welcome.
Connector
Hi Nicky,

Where will your company actually be trading from? And why can't you use this address?

Lee
Entrepreneur
There is nothing wrong with using your home address as a company address. The local council will only get involved if you convert some of your home address to a dedicated work area (if you do, they'll want business rates). As a Ltd Co you'll need a Registered Office, and most small companies use their accounts office - as you'll have to have an accountant as a Ltd Co anyway.
Don't annoy the neighbours. They can complain to the Council, and they'll visit you to assess your situation.