This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

View Poll Results: Online Restaurant/Take Away/Fish and Chip Shop Survey
Yes would use, only if they offered FREE home delivery 17 68.00%
Yes would use even if there was a small charge for delivery 7 28.00%
No I prefer to pick my order up 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Maven
Online Take Aways

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to get a general feel from people in the UK.

If you knew your favourite Restaurant, Take-Away, Fish and Chip Shop etc, had an online website and they offered home delivery, would you use it, or do you prefer going to pick your order up?

Thanks
Matt Street
http://www.2cSouthend.co.uk
http://www.uk-mobiles.biz
http://www.uk-ringtones.biz
Connector
Hi Matt. I just ticked the "Yes.......free delivery" as I think most people would. However, I know most takeaways will have a minimum order value to qualify for free delivery, or they will make a small charge.

Personally, I would try and avoid going out and picking it up.

Hope that helps in your quest.

Jay
Design R Web Solutions
Connector
I think you also need to consider the fact that most people would actually ring the order in rather then order via the internet. It would be alot of hassle for something that you could do relatively simply over the phone.
Entrepreneur
I agree with Rhys. Why would you have the hassle of connecting, then finding the site and then entering your order when you can simply ring?

As for picking it up v delivery, I would always have it delivered if they had a delivery service.
Maven
Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, I agree with both of you that its easy to phone up and place an order.

I thought it may be a good idea so that people can see what else the place as to offer by giving their full menu, as not all the time do people know what else they offer and just go for their usual.

I know also that some restaurants delivery flyers around the local area, but people tend to throw these away so this could be another advantage.

Thanks again
Matt Street
2cSouthend
UK Mobiles
UK Ringtones
Connector
Then why don't you design a website that just lists take-away menu's and restaurant menu's?

Charge each company a yearly subscription such as 10 (which is not alot - point out that this would pay for itself it in reduced printing fees. Any amendments are to the menu are 1.50 each - so that you are making money even if the menu needs to be updated frequently.

Design the website with the database behind and the form for amending it. (not sure what you actually call this.) That way you can hire anyone with a basic knowledge of the Internet to update it (from their own home? -even cheaper).

-Cha-ching-ching- (And no - thats not a Japanese rock band)
Entrepreneur
Just my opinion.

I love the net and takaway food, i hate having to phone them up though. At least if you done it via the net:

1. You would have the latest menu (if updated regularly)
2. You dont have to ring scoot for their number (saving 60p!)
3. they would know exactly what you want (instead of trying to say some of the stuff off the menu - can get confusing )
4. They get your address right.

I wouldnt mind paying a delivery fee, but most of time dont have to pay one as order exceeds minimum fee

I have actually looked on the net for a takaway that done this in my area (but failed)

Just my views,

cheers

michael
Online ordering

I think that with the advent of broadband, ordering online is no great ordeal anymore.

Good luck Matt!
Entrepreneur
online take aways

Hi Matt,

I am currently looking into the same type of idea, If you check on web for restaurant delivery services in the uk there are at least 6 I know of that offer all different types of food.

If your interested in maybe swopping notes give me a bell after you have looked at what's out there already.

rick
Maven
Re: Online Restaurant Ordering

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the further feedback on the idea, and to everyone who has used the poll.
I have been thinking about setting this idea up further and also looking on the Internet, and I cannot find many restaurants/take aways etc, that actually offer online ordering.
I know that many people think it is easy to phone up and order, I couldn't agree more, but with online ordering if gives the choice to the customer and will hopefully also increase business for them.

If anyone is interested in joining me in this new venture, then please don't hesitate to contact me, and we can exchange ideas!!

All the best
Regards
Matt Street
2cSouthend
UK Mobiles
UK Ringtones
Entrepreneur
Hi Matt,
I am an internet addict and so are many out there. Very soon almost every thing would be done via the web.
Do go ahead with your idea and I wish you the best.
Entrepreneur
I still don't think it would work. If your just advertising menu's and people still have to phone their orders through then this relies on everyone within the restaurants/takeaways area having access to the internet, this is highly unlikely even today, so I doubt they would change from their current practices of producing leaflets. 10 isn't very much but then neither is it to you so you'd have to have every restaurant/takeaway within a county on your site to see any real benefit.

If you are considering ordering online then that relies on every takeaway having internet access and the software to receive and process that order. This will be very costly and no takeaway would go for it because it would take them a long time to recover their inital outlay. Takeaways and restaurants rely on passing trade so encouraging people to stay at home and order is not good business for them.

I still don't think this idea will make any/much money but that's just my opinion. I think there are much better opportunities out there to be investing your time in which will give higher returns.
Connector
It will work because if you check out the statistics the amount of people who went online in the last two years alone is staggering, you are just getting to this idea first before someone else does and will make a mint, I say do it fast and be Halifax - for years now I've been lamenting about the lack of this type of service.

It may be easy to phone up and make the order, but it's just as easy to do it if you're online anyway, there are a lot of internet obsessed people who want to everything online just because they like to - they are permanently online.
Maven
The takeaways don't need internet access, this can be set up to send the order through a fax machine, it's a great idea, I've ordered pizzas through the internet with no problems whatsoever.
Connector
internet??

In own a fish and chip/kebeb shop and cannot see the internet benefiting as of yet..The phone up delivery service works fine.Having said that in a couple of years time when everyone has broadband even shops and software is available at a good price then why not???

mark

Suppliers of fresh chips and peeled potatoes to the trade.
www.edimachipsltd.co.uk