This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Mentor > Business Planning

Where do I start if I want to publish a magazine and/or radio station?

I would like to know what to consider, if i wanted to go into media, and design and produce a magazine and/or radio station.
i am not familiar with that particular industry but i believe i have a something that is not currently on offer at the moment or isn't represented fully at the moment. I would like to know what steps are involved and whether it is the same as starting any other business. Where do I go or look if I want to find out more about publishing, how much financial is involved, quality printing, laws on privavcy and what can be included in a magazine etc. the list is endless, but any input would be very much appreciated.
Connector
Hi,

The first place I always recommend people start, regardless of the business, is with market research - you need to prove that their is a genuine need for your idea; you need to find out about your potential customers (who they are, what they want, how much they'll pay, etc); and you need to find out about your competition (who they are, what they offer, how much they charge, etc).

Magazines are, in the main, notoriously difficult and expensive to start up and maintain. However, you may want to consider taking the magazine, or the radio station for that matter, online, which will lessen your start-up costs dramatically.

I think at the moment, you should consider choosing one of the ideas, and finding out as much as you can about it, and then deciding if you are going to pursue it further.

Also, there are members of our online community who have set up (or considered setting up) magazines and radio stations, and they may be willing to give you some advice and information. If you haven't already joined the community and would like to do so, please send me an e-mail for the details: lee.longstaff@pne.org

Lee