This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Have An Idea, but no idea what to do now...

Hey,

Erm, I have no idea where to begin this post, nevermind my business.
I want to start a legal mp3 business, one where the singers/songwriters/producers/record companies etc. get loyalties and money from the sale of their songs, with my company receiving a portion of the prices, and people getting good quality music for a lower prices than buying albums and singles. This will legalise the business, and, although the songs will be cheaper, the singers wont lose money coz they wont be burned onto CD's or cassettes, (thus cutting down on resources).
I thought this was a bit hair-brained, but I am investigating whether it would actually work. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Sarahx
Maven
Hi Sarah,

Check out this page on BBC News about big music industry companies failing to create a successful legal music sharing service:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1809391.stm

Sadly for them there are tens of free file-sharing services which allow illegal sharing so it's tough to make any dough:
Google Directory: file sharing clients

It's a tough climb for any company wanting to make real money from a file-sharing service. Perhaps if you find a unique angle you'd be able to make your mark. Do you intend to promote just smaller bands or everyone? If you had exclusivity on the distribution and you used a secure license management system then and you marketed the music well then it might work well.

Just a word of caution: any music file can be copied somehow regardless of the security, so don't be surprised if any of your secure music appears as an MP3 file on Kazaa or Gnutella.
Hmmmm

I am intending to secure it as much as possible, but i havent talked to anyproper webmanagers yet, they may b able to help.
I was thinking of smaller and larger bands, separated off in diferent sections.
I was thinking that people would rather download 1 song than buy a CD single, coz there always tends to be poorer quality B-Side singles on them.
I was trying to think of a way to stop people from turning to the pirated versions of the songs rather than the legal version from my website. Then I realised, the fans who buy the CD's, normally do it to get their idols or whoever to number 1 in the charts. If we created our own chart, or perhaps even sold the idea to one of the larger record companies, do you ever think there'd be a chance that Mp3's could be included in the regular music charts? some body sed it was a future possibilty, so somebody's got to initiate it.

Plus we could put added extra's in... Eg. Video files, wallpapers, screensavers etc.
And there would be a subscription fee or members could just buy songs individually but this would cost more in the long run.

Sarah
x
Maven
Hi There

MP3 and the internet have a huge history of late, i dont think your be ever be able to get the record companies to get the music onto the net for anytime soon. They are so anti this for the reasons of there profit margins. People that use filesharing programs basically do as they can get them for free with out paying for it. You could try a site promoting smaller unsigned artists and use there music.

Kind Regards

Chris
info@chilleddesign.com

http://www.chilledhosting.com
Connector
Hi Sarah,

Would like to discuss this idea in more detail with you as I have a 'similar' idea based loosly around the same industry. Would you like to contact me and we will discuss?

Regards,

Craig
craig@netlane.co.uk