This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Refunds...

I work for part time for Argos and the other day I discovered an issue. A customer had came in demanding their money back on a falty purchase. They had no reciept, the only way of showing it came from Argos was the cat number on the box. they demanded their money back and it was giving after some hassle. Ive just started a Business course and have done a bit of Law and im sure I rember that the business is obliged to give him the money back. But my manager dissagees and says that they are not. Is this true?
Connector
Sale of goods

See the sale of goods act if you are a legal eagle. Alternatively there are a number of handy guides in laymans terms available, the Citizens advice bureau is probably best place to start.

James
Connector
If you buy an item that is faulty then the company you bought it off must give you the money back under the sale of goods act 1979. You do not need to accept a replacement, vouchers, credit or for the goods to be repaired.

However you do need to have proof that you bought it from that shop. Most people think that this means a receipt and most companies will also tell you this. However a cheque stub, bank statement or even a witness to say that they were with you when you bought it will be sufficient in a court of law.

Not sure whether the argos ticket number counts as proof of purchase. Because UK law is based on case law this will probably depend on whether a case like this has been brought before the courts before. But IMO this probably does count as proof of purchase.