This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
New Years Resolutions

Ok to preempt it! Probably will be too busy over the xmas period to do this post :-)

Whats everyones New Years Resolutions going to be?

I cant think what mine are going to be at the moment but Im sure they will come to me!

Merry Christmas to all on the forums from us at netadvances!!

John Crocker
netadvances
Email: info@netadvances.co.uk
Web: http://www.netadvances.co.uk
Starting Out
Hi John,

My Resolution is at the heart of every business - get more customers!
I've re-printed below an article we ran in the last issue of our e-zine, Small Business Success, with some ideas on what to set as Resolutions. I hope it provides you with the tips you are looking for!
"Get new customers!
Take a fresh look at your advertising material. Does it look dated? Is it designed to attract new business? Do you do enough advertising?
Could you improve your networking skills? Find out if there is a business club near you Ö and join!
Ask your customers for referrals. If they are satisfied with your service then they should be more than happy to provide you with some introductions.

Keep your existing ones!
In your quest to get more customers, donít forget your existing ones! Resolve to call all your key customers at least once a quarter. You donít have to try to get an order, just show that you have not forgotten them.
Resolve to reward those customers who have been with you for many years or have placed significant orders over the last year.

Look at your expenses
When did you last review your monthly expenses? Set a resolution to look at your overheads every month. Can you reduce your electricity or phone bill by either being more efficient or changing suppliers?
If you have a range of suppliers, when did you last re-negotiated terms? Are you still getting a good deal or could you do better?
Resolve to look at your Bank charges at least once a year. Does your Bank offer you a competitive deal? What are their competitors offering? Also, check whether you are getting the best deal on all your insurance requirements.

Keep an eye on the cash
Next year, resolve to watch your cash flow! Remember, its cash, not just profit that keeps your business going. Are you making full use of credit terms offered by your suppliers? Could you negotiate even more favourable terms? Make sure you get your invoices out on time and that overdue payments are promptly chased.

Have a radical re-think
Are you putting up with something in business in the hope it will improve next year? It usually doesnít! Do you have suppliers who are constantly delivering late or have quality problems with their goods? Resolve to search for new suppliers!
Do you have slow-moving products, which you are ďpositively sureĒ will take-off next year (for the third year running)? Accept the fact that without a radical re-think itís not going to happen Ö dump it and move on.
This year have you been spending a lot of time chasing a potential new customer? Is 2003 the time to accept that they may not do business with you? Resolve not to waste your precious time and effort chasing no-hopers.

Commit to a plan
If you have decided to set your business some New Years resolutions, to give you focus and something to aim for, write them down. Prepare a plan listing all your resolutions and detailing the actions you have to take to achieve them all. Then, resolve to review your plan at least once a month."

Rob
Small Business Success
www.smallbusinesssuccess.biz
Connector
Time Management

To listen to the time management Gurus and get out of bed an hour earlier each day, instead of what I actually do which is lie in bed awake for an hour talking myself into getting out of the bed and wasting precious time.
Connector
Staying in bed an hour later is one of the perks of being self employed. Even if we do work into the early hours!!
A lie in everyday is definetely one of the plus sides of working for myself.

My new year resolution is to stay motivated. Stick to my business plan and think positive.

Happy xmas to you all and i look forward to seeing everyone on the llth

Elena
www.oohlalaa.com
Connector
I know

I know, it is definitely a great perk but I'm starting to think that I'd rather get up a bit earlier and stop working at 9pm rather than work til 10pm each night, also my energy levels seriously drop as the evening wears on and I think that if I swapped an hour from the evening and placed it in the morning instead I'd be much more productive.
Connector
I agree with you.

A little while ago i heard on a radio station that sleeping in later made you more succesful!!!

Who knows...

It certainly puts me in a good mood. It could also be that now i dont have to go get on the train with lots of commuters.
New Year Resolution

Hi guys,
To complete the transformation from an employee into a full businessman.
To do more excercise.
I wish you all a happy and prosperous 2003. May all our businesses take off smoothly.
Maven
Resolutions

Mine is to definitely work harder on the business and capture more customers, but also to sustain good health by going to the gym (regularly!) and eating healthily, because if your health is no good, you can't run a business effectively!

Happy New Year to all and I wish you all a great 2003.

Natalie Brown
NLB Travel
www.nlbtravel.co.uk