This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Online shop with no stock

Hi all,

I am going to start up an online shop selling computer hardware/software, etc...

I am contiplating with the idea of having no stock. i.e. when i receive an order i go round my trade websites and buy the stuff off them, get it sent to the person who bought the item.

What are people views on this kind of trading?

At the minute i can see more positives than negatives i.e. low start up costs, no loss on stock depreciation, no worries about storage space, etc...

any help would be great, both the positive and negative.

thanks

Michael
Connector
Michael, you would be supprised just how many online stores actually do this. It's a good idea, but be sure to draw up contracts between yourself and the wholesalers. (keeping your clients details safe and not distributing/ selling it on)

Our sister department currently does this with a few large Internet sites. When the product gets sold, they simply fax over the details where we would ship this out to the client and get paid within 30 days. (credit period)

What I would advise you do is get a list of the products you want to sell, send these to your wholesaler and obtain a total price for these to include postage and packing. Once you have this, you can then proceed to mark your own prices on your site.

As for ecommerce, I would take a look at oscommerce www.oscommerce.com if you are hosting on Linux. It's a package we are "road testing" and will be offering it shortly. It's open source (free) and very powerfull.

Regards
Design R Web Solutions
Entrepreneur
thanks for the post. I will contact my wholesalers and get prices, etc.

I am using oscommerce. It was the best out there with out doubt.

I will let you know how i get on

thanks

Michael
Connector
HI,

I would recommend you check to see the turnaround time your suppliers can give you.

I have to keep quite a bit of stock as i know that my suppliers can take a while in sending me stock. I want to offer the best customer service possible.

Your customers will not want to wait ages to receive their goods.

In theory the idea is an excellent one.

Elena
www.oohlalaa.com
Connector
Michael, do let me know how you get on. It sounds like an interesting project. I have almost completed the oscommerce demo store for us, so Ill post you the URL shortly.

Regards
Jay
Design R Web Solutions
Connector
I too was thinking of this idea a while ago, but it didnt happen as I had not the time.

What payment methods will you be offering to customers?? have you a business bank account set up??

Keep us posted

Chris
Maven
Selling with no stocks

Hi,

Sounds good, very low start-up cost and no need storage space. How about the time schedule for delivery, customers might need the products next day or in three days time, how are you going to go about showing the products on the web; pictures, descriptions.

If your wholesalers are going to send the goods direct to customers, how about your invoice, your company logo and details on packaging etc.

It sounds like a good idea. Please do inform us to progress.

All the best xxx
Connector
I have also had that idea. However the idea came to a hald when i couldnt find any descent wholesalers.

Anyone know of any? I have a few cheap ones, but not as cheap as i would have liked. I would be happy to share info

Jonathan
Entrepreneur
Re: Selling with no stocks

Thanks for all your posts,

Q/A:

How about the time schedule for delivery, customers might need the products next day or in three days time,

The wholesaler will post the products, so delivery times will be the same as the wholesaler (next day, 3 days, 5 days)

how are you going to go about showing the products on the web; pictures, descriptions.

I have set up oscommerce, which is basically a shopping/catalog script. It will appear as a normal online shop.

If your wholesalers are going to send the goods direct to customers, how about your invoice, your company logo and details on packaging etc.

This is the one i am going to have to overcome some how. Any ideas?

What payment methods will you be offering to customers?? have you a business bank account set up??
I am still deciding on this one. I might use paypal to start off with, as it intergrates very will into oscommerce. I am even toying with the idea of COD, has anyone used this method before?

Yes i have a business bank account.

I would welcome any feedback, i will keep you all 'posted'

thanks

Michael
Connector
Hope everything goes well...

But is there really room online for ANOTHER shop of this type?? I mean there are a tonne of online hardware shops at present - PC World, Dabs, Over Clockers to name but a few.

If you can get it to work then go for it When I was toying with the idea, this also put me off.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Chris
Entrepreneur
My idea is that i will be purchasing from a few suppliers, so i will be able to keep prices down, my overheads are also low, which will keep prices low.

Hopefully with low prices, the right promotion, etc i will be able to compete with 'the competition'.

I guess only time, patients, and headaches will tell
Connector
Good luck

Also are you VAT registered in order to get trade prices from some suppliers?? I had a list of 2 excellent suppliers, although I needed to ve VAT registered to get their prices.
Connector
Is it possible you can name the suppliers?
Connector
Havent check their prices in a while but the were very good...

http://www.sphinxcomputers.co.uk/
&
http://www.targetcomponents.net

Chris
Connector
good idea

Hi, I agree with everyone else. This is a really good idea with low investment. However consider how you will deal with complaints and returns.

Happy business.

http://www.webprojectuk.com
info@webprojectuk.com