This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
A PC Problem

I've got a problem on my computer and was just wondering if the IT people could help.

When I log onto the internet, it is connected i.e. the 2 little computers in the bottom right appear. But it can't access any sites, because a message saying 'Cannot Allocate Socket' (without the 's). How do I sort this out? Cheers
Connector
Try pcadvisor.co.uk

Sorry that I cannot answer your problem. However I would recommend you go to www.pcadvisor.co.uk and register with them. You can then post a thread in their helproom forum. You should get a lot of replies from people in the know.

Best of luck,

Shamrocker
Connector
tech support?

Hi, I used to work in IT at Lifetime Careers but I've never come accross that sort of problem before, try technical support if not www.pcadvisor.com, although you may get charged a ridiculous amount of £ per minute.

Kris
Entrepreneur
Hi,

I am a Network Manager and have been in IT support for 3 years. I have never come accross this problem before.

First of all, has the problem resolved itself out now. (I came across a similar problem - with out the error message- and it was just a glitch with the ISP.)

2nd. How long have you had it for?

3rd. Does it allow you to connect to your POP3 server (email)

4th. What is your operating System?

please reply here or email me at: michael@computing-tips.net

Dont forget if you have any IT/Computer Problems post them on the re-launched User-Support.net Support forums (http://www.user-support.net/)

Michael
Entrepreneur
A PC Problem

Cheers folks!
Maven
Hey HSS,

Try logging on as the Administrator then connect to the Internet again. This is likely to solve your problem. If you're interested in the technical side, here's a simplified explanation why:

Think of your PC like an onion - it has layers. Your programs run in a layer above your Windows operating system, which in turn runs in a layer above your PC's hardware.

When any program wants to communicate with another computer, it first needs a unique socket. This is like people securing a clear channel when communicating on the airwaves. So the program asks the Windows operating system in the layer below for a particular socket. Programs ask for their usual socket.

Your Windows operating system may not be able to allocate the requested socket for one of two reasons: either there is another program which has already taken that particular socket or you do not have the right user priveledges.

What I mean by this is that several users in your company may need to use one particular PC. The technical genius who looks after your PCs may not want the other users to mess up the computer. So, this technical genius configures this PC to only let you do certain things when you log on to that PC. This can both prevent you from doing things and can also prevent your programs from doing things.

I hope I don't sound patronising. I suppose it's better to be verbose than cryptic.

Anyway, log off then log back on to your PC as the Administrator. You will need the Administrator's password.

BTW, the issue is the same regardless of operating system, as is the solution.

Best regards
Entrepreneur
A PC Problem

Cheers Tim, only one question, how do I log on as the administrator? I think your right when you said the bit about "another program which has already taken that particular socket", as the problem occured when I tried installing a game. Thanks for your reply. As my knowledge of IT is pretty limited, if its not too much of a problem, could you give me a basic step-by-step guide as to how to go about it. Cheers again, much appreciated.
Connector
Hi, im not sure if you've sorted this problem out, but try www.ehelp4u.co.uk , its a closely linked company to the one i work for.

They offer 24hour technical support at £4 per month, or £35 for a full year,contact me if you need more details.

Kris
Entrepreneur
you may have sorted this out by now, but you could try this:

check to see if anything is running on port 80 which is the default port for HTTP connections. if you view websites the data will be 'downloaded' through port 80.

goto MS-DOS Prompt and type netstat -A which will display your listening ports and will show you port information.

or try using PING in dos, e.g. ping <websiteaddress> and see if you can send/recieve data packets.

even a program called msconfig, if the problem occured when you installed a game it could be starting up when you boot your system and constantly waits for a connection on that particular port.

cheers!
Entrepreneur
A PC Problem

Cheers for the reply, much appreciated.