This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
Indian Snacks

Hi I was wondering if people could provide some help, a good friend of mine is strongly considering setting up a business that sells "indian snacks" through mobile units (and other outlets - but the mobile part is the initial driver).

I have tried the snacks she is intending to sell (5 initially with 4 different types of sauce) and they are fantastic! the sauces are clever since they easily give 20 possible combinations. The food is all precooked and just require heating, the secret is that the food actually tastes pretty fresh even though its not.

I want her to acutally split the production and distribution part into seperate entities if you like, so someone else can run the distribution side which could involve reselling to catering organisations perhaps while she focuses on the production which will have its own problems ..i.e how long does it stay fresh for, costs of production ...

SO! ..Does anyone have experience of doing this or could provide some insight into potential competition in this field?? What about catering contacts? Selling this through a vending machine?

Thanks
Connector
I have a company new to food creating some products to be sold in my hot food vending machines.

Would be happy to look at your products if you get to that stage.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Starting Out
ok interesting, typically what is the criteria for putting something into a vending machine format - considering that we are talking about potentially meat based products and the shelf life would not be that of a chocolate bar..
Connector
Nothing to add apart from saying I love a tasy indian snack *drools*.

Definate gap in the market. Im thinking summer fesitvals? Far better than the hippy wagon selling lentil stew.

If they are tip top you might want to hit the supermarkets, although you will end up with crappy margins.

Much as I love Adam and his vending, I think its the wrong image for a "foody" item.
Connector
We have a small vending outlet (its attached to the side of our shopping centre) that sells superb indian food. They do party catering and theres always a cue by their place its untrue!

Are we talking just food in hot vending machines or is your friend thinking of going into local businesses at lunchtimes with the food (a nice alternative to an egg mayo sarnie!).

Whilst on the subject of Indian food-The Onion Bhaji is an alien! Bhaji's are not an indian food-pakoras are which is a nicer version of the evil Bhaji.

Sorry had to get that out in the air...

serenegoddess (@) hotmail.co.uk
Connector
As vending machines already sell food (and hot food in my case) I would not worry too much about James and his image

Festivals are good, I know a guy that makes a lot of festival trailer things and could advise or loan you a trailer to cut down on costs.

He has devised a concept trailer with vending machines in it and we are just wating for someone to come and buy it.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Connector
festivals are definatley a great idea..