This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
what are the chances of getting caught !

I'm hoping to start up a business based on selling a product on the internet. I'll be working from home.
I live in a council property and pay full rent, but in my lease I'm sure I've read somewhere that the premises cannot be used for business purposes.
What are the chances that I'll be caught if I start it up anyway ?
What are the likely penalties if i DO get caught!

It just seems silly that I may have to rent an ''office space'' somewhere to possibly avoid this - even though I intend to work from home on my PC!!

Ideas ? !!!

- Fee
Connector
I wouldn't go against the tenancy agreement, you may face being thrown onto the streets (worse case scenario).

Contact your CAB office about penalties etc. I wouldn't risk it though, all your hard work could come to a halt if the council find out and take legal action...as your landlord they can do that. I've read that on my friends tenancy agreement.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. As for office space, is there no council enterprise centres near you where you can set up an office for a small monthly rental fee? Just a thought.

serenegoddess (@) hotmail.co.uk
Connector
I always suggest obeying the rules but some are open to interpretation.

A lot of rules like this are there to stop you converting it in to a shop or having people around for accupuncture or something (or other personal services )

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Connector
Tell 'em. You have to be honest about this sort of stuff.

I doubt they will say no unless you expect a large number of people to visit your home and/or delivery vehicles.

Not to mention they might spank you with business rates...
Entrepreneur
I agree with openmidn and Adam...

I used to work for our local council (albeit in the press office rather than in housing) and they're not as inflexible as you might think. Most of the time tenancy rules about running a business from home etc are there to stop you from turning your home into a factory or shop, encouraging lost of people to come to your home or using your garage to manufacture something/repair cars etc. Bascially anything which could potentially upset your neighbours or cause a noise or other nuisance.

If it's the type of business where you'll be sitting at a computer all day and either dealing with people by phone/email or going to see them yourself, I don't think it should be a problem, but DO tell them you want to do it!

copywriting, ghostwriting & design