This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Starting Out
Estimate on a friendsreunited type database please

Hi,

I am in the very early planning stages of a business idea that I've been developing in my head for the last year.

I'm not yet ready to go into intricate details, mostly because I have yet to work them out myself, but essentially, I would need to have a database built, very similar to friendsreunited.com, with options to add on auction modules and so on.

I have a fairly unique selling point, hopefully with a protected customer and marketing base, so there is a clear path to modest profits. I can do most of my own web design, and I know dreamweaver 4 pretty well, so the actual website is not a problem. I just need a database that can be linked into the website.

So, my questions are:

1. How much would a guesstimate costing be for the development of a database similar to friendsreunited - with users able to register a lot of different details with a sophisticated search engine?

2. Does anyone know of any customisable ready made software packages that a mid-level internet savvy person might be able to use?

Thank in advance for any help.

Michael
Maven
Hi Mef,

Interesting idea.. Basically what you need is a back-end system written in a programming language such as ASP or Coldfusion. Since you have said you can do most of the web design, all it requires is for the back end to get the relevant information from the database and organise it in a way so that it can be displayed in the presentation layer.

The Database can be designed from the ground up to meet your requirements in any off-the-shelve database package such as Microsoft SQL Server or mySQL.

I cant think of any ready-made software packages off the top of my head that would do this.

I can provide you with a back-end solution and database. Please feel free to drop me a line with your specific requirements and I can make you a quote. Do you have a hosting provider in mind? as this would influence costs as you would require a package wit h database connectivity, we can reccomend a hosting package which would give you these facilities.

Please feel free to drop me a line

John Crocker
Email: info@netadvances.co.uk
Web:http://www.netadvances.co.uk (under construction)
Connector
DB system

Hi

We recently produced a system with some of these systems and it weighed in at around 5,000. However, this included some advanced marketing features and a direct connection to the clients banking provieder for processing of credit cards. WIthout these specifics we could probably reduce the cost, but it is all dependant upon the features you want.

We would suggest such a system be built in MySQL for flexibility and ease of hosting and interrogated with ASP or PHP, depending on the specific requirements.

Our Database hosting package that would service such a site is available at 100 + vat per annum.

Please send a "wishlist" of features and an overview of how the system works to stuart@a4internet.com

If you are concerned about security, please request a non disclosure agreement from the same address which we will sign and fax or post to you in advance.

Best Regards

Stuart Dowling
A4 Internet ltd
Starting Out
Thanks

Thanks very much for your replies. I'm horrendously busy for the next few days, but at some point I'll try to jot down some key points and an outline of what I would want the database to do.

However, given that a. I like things just so and more importantly, b. I'm a broke graduate, I may well end up having to teach myself database programming. I don't suppose anyone could recommend a good course/book and a guesstimate of how long it might take me (a speck above average brainpower and some basic programming knowledge)?

Thanks very much for the replies though - very much appreciated, and I will contact you both, to see if anything might be possible.

Michael
Connector
database

Hi, I am working on a student website project at the moment. Maybe we could help each other out. Drop me an email with your ideas and we will take it from there.

thanks,
http://www.webprojectuk.com
info@webprojectuk.com
Starting Out
Hi,

Sorry for the delay - been a hectic Christmas! i'll send you an email, and we can take it from there.

Michael
Connector
Hi there

Hi Mef, I know a very talented web developer who can give you a more than excellent quote for this project.

If interested email ashleyjohnnorman@aol.com (AJDesigns)

Amanda
www.trulyace.com
Logo design and business adminstration
Starting Out
i would use a combo of php and mysql...we can do that for a few hundred pounds or if you are interested and have significant funding you could invest in our internet startup we will become a new 'revolutionary' payment system for any website to charge for small low value transactions.

Email me for details
Entrepreneur
I'll sort you out a website in exchange for a good reference ) even a friendsreunited type website as I am a Web Programmer by trade.

email me if your interested, thanks!
Entrepreneur
Quote:
Originally posted by mobi
our internet startup we will become a new 'revolutionary' payment system for any website to charge for small low value transactions.

Email me for details
What type of security will you be implementing? and do you think you could beat a business such as WorldPay?
Connector
Visit www.metrointeractivedesign.com we may be able to help you out as we have been involved in many large projects such as this one, more information and contact details can be found on our website.

Thanks
Starting Out
Quote:
What type of security will you be implementing? and do you think you could beat a business such as WorldPay?
The security is straght forward SSL to the clients server and there is no security needed at the user end as its processed through premium sms, if the end users doesnt have the available money then they are unable to access any systems
Entrepreneur
so you won't be a new 'revolutionary' payment system then will you :P
Starting Out
erm yes! sms is a very very new payment method most companies are still unaware of its potenital and still rely on the worldpay companies for revenue.