This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Guru
Resistance

Hiya,

When you started your business, or first declared the interest in starting your own business, did you find you got a lot of resistance and pessimism from the people closest to you?

Did you find you were faced with a list of every single failure you ever experienced being thrown in your face?

How did you cope?

Stu
Connector
I can't say there was negativity but I did get a lot of concern from close family members. They were bascially worried that I wouldn't be able to pay the bills! But they won't half as worried as I was!!

TBH if you believe enough in your business plan and are sure that it will work, go for it. If you get pessimism and criticism from people, the likely explanation is simply that they are jealous!

I've now been trading for over a year and those that were initially concerned are now my biggest supporters...
Connector
Wow that's a big one.

In general a lot of people just looked at me in awe and wonder...I was jumping ship would I sink or swim.

I didn't care in all reality the only approval I sought was that of myself when I decided to set up my own business.
I had gone down the whole route of following the system....school, uni, 9-to-5 trying, in retrospect, to keep up to social standards, never really knowing within whether I was happy...That was because life was about "not being seen as a failure".

Only had a few mumbles of negativity but I made a stand for myself and my life.

If you're having self doubt realise what you're doing it for and believ in your goals...there are many stories through history of individuals who have failed and failed and failed but in that moment of belief they pulled themselves back up and achieved all that they wanted.

Surround yourself with people who will support your goals and that will make all the difference.

www.whosfordinner.com - London's coolest dinner dating site!

www.simonewilliams.co.uk - Sophisticated Ladieswear fashion
Connector
I Agree with everything Phil said.

It is very hard indeed as you want support from those close to you and you only seem to get negative vibes.

I think they are just concerned that you may suffer if the business fails, and that you should take the safe option and work for someone else.

I just took on board what they said, then made it a personal mission to make sure it worked so I could go back to them and say "told you so"

I think everyone who starts their own business are taking a risk, but I don't think you should let their negativity get you down. Just because they wouldn't take the risk themselves doesn't mean it won't work.

I can guarantee if you spoke to some Entrepreneurs on this board, they would mostly tell you to go for it, (and in my experience offer some invaluable advice to help you on your way)

Are you trading already, starting up, or simply considering starting?

Stuart
Beer Bottle Designer
Viral golf game
Connector
I see where you coming from. I am in the same position where I am considering of giving up my regular job and going for it. However, you are always faced with the bills and mortgage payments.

The one thing I am constantly told is to wait for the right moment. Is there such a thing? The right moment may never come and when you look back you life has passed.

I personally thing that if you have faith in what you are doing then get out and do it. You only live one life so make most of it. I think struggling for the first year is better then looking back at your life and saying what if I did this?
Connector
Hi

I had lots of negativity when I started but in a way it makes you want to prove everyone wrong.

I just ignored negative comments and tended to just talk to people who would be trusting and supportive about business.
Entrepreneur
I still get negativity.
I think that people can be put into two different boxes, those who do and those who don't.

The ones that 'do' get an idea, work it through and give it a go, if it goes pear shaped generally they have another go.

The ones that'don't' are the ones that don't give anything a try - unless it has a 100% chance of coming good - the trouble is if someone close to you is a 'don't' then it can create a lot of negativity and this can be difficult to work through, especially if your wife/husband/patner/family is or are 'don'ts'!

That is why a forum such as this is great, everybody is a 'do'!
Connector
Yes, i used to try and not tell people about my idea's, even to my very close family and friends because i could sense their reaction.
Mainly because my ideas are way out there, i always doubted that i was thinking to big and wondered if i should plan my salon in a smaller way but i told my mum and she said, if you think small you stay small.... if i think big then..... you get my drift.

So that gave me alot of confidence to keep on going with the big plans.

I used to hate saying i'm self employed etc, because of the negitive reaction i would receive.

But now its all going well and i'm doing things and getting on with what i have to do to get where i want to be, i love telling people that i have my own business, two little kiddies, a part time job, a household to look after and mortgage to pay.

I feel so proud of myself and this is only the begining!!!

I cant wait to invite everyone i know to my beauty salon launch party, thats my dream!!

"Make no small plans for they have no power to stir the soul." (Niccolo Machiavelli)

www.marveewoods.com
Marvee Woods Music
Talented songwriter
Guru
Quote:
Originally posted by Artman
the trouble is if someone close to you is a 'don't' then it can create a lot of negativity and this can be difficult to work through, especially if your wife/husband/patner/family is or are 'don'ts'!
This is certainly the trouble I'm having. It's such a hassle, I may have to become a hermit until I make my fortune...

It's the veiled threats that are the worst ie "I couldn't live with someone that hasn't got a proper job..." It is beginning to get me down. :-(

Stu
Connector
My sister nearly got me into tears this weekend. I just mentioned that money was tight as i was really spending a lot in the business which i only started in March. She told me to go and work to get money as the business hasnt given me any money yet. I am still working just doing part time hours, because my employer is flexible she suggested i go and increase my Hours. My heart sank to be honest. its dishearting and i sometimes its hard standing up for yourself faced with such criticism and sometimes you also begin to think they may have a point

She was always very critical that my idea didnt work and because it was also rather new on my target market she suggested all sorts of 'traditional businesses' which wasnt something for me. I also have another sister who is 'concerned'. she dosent really support the business but she rather sits on the fence

My patner was critical when i was doing the planning but now he is behind me, he sees how hard I am working at it which makes things a lot easier and my poor mum supports me too. I expected her to be against it as she is more conservative and likes things done the traditional way. If you are just starting you may get all sorts of criticism but its all up to you to work hard to prove them wrong.

I think next time i will zip my mouth and just get on with it, then i can tell them once its up an running.Its hard enough working on the business without the negativity
Guru
I found more jealousy than negativity, ie. people who are successful and don't want others to be too successful. As well as that there was a lot of indifference - ie. people who live for friday night. What you might find interesting is that a lot of the people who encourage me (apart for close friends) are people who like the product and want to buy it. I found that when I started pitching the idea to potential customers and they liked it, I started to feel better
Connector
Generaly I agree with the above but today I was offered a huge some of money to help my vending business from someone very successful in the vending game.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Connector
I must say, this post demonstrates how good this forum is.

It is allowing a group of people who suffer exactly the same problems running their own businesses talk about things that no one else would understand.

It is nice to have a post where no one is selling to anyone, just talking and sharing tips and opinions on a real and gritty subject that everyone that starts up comes accross.

Just reading it myself has really helped me out, and I am sure will act as inspiration to others who want to start their own business but are wary/unsure.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Stuart
Beer Bottle Designer
Viral golf game