This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
VOIP / Skype

I make phone calls abroad and i am just reading about VOIP or to be precise skpe, it cost about 0.02 to call anyway in the world. has anyone got any exprience of using this and how it really work.

I am aso a bit worried about downloading virus using the software. can you please advise as i am seriously thinking of using this.
Guru
Don't know much about it, but someone has got a SKYPE link on their profile on this forum.

Can't remember who it is though.

Sorry.
Connector
We have used Skype extensively over the last year.

Rest assured, there's nothing to worry about in terms of viruses - we've never had any trouble and I'm sure you won't either!

Skype is great most of the time. Every now and then, though, the service does degrade - usually evident by delays on the call or by partial/complete loss of audio. This isn't necessary the fault of Skype, it could be either caller's service provider, or any provider in between.

On the whole, though, it's brilliant

The outgoing call service is great and very cheap - I have used it for calling people worldwide and it's been fine most of the time.
Connector
I had a link to it in my sig!

Skype is great, really easy to use and the sound quality ain't bad. I haven't used it for that long but must have saved on a few hours of calls.

Try it, it's free.
Connector
Absolutely fantastic, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. And remember Skype to Skype is FREE!

They have a great forum if you want to find out more info or more technical information.

Jamie Miller
Active Sports Ltd
Distributors of Powerball
How Fast Can You Spin It....?
Connector
Agree with the posts above. Use it regularly to keep in touch with our offices abroad...slight lag at times when calling China but nothing major! Think this is more to do with contacting a 56k modem rather than BB, but telecoms is not my thing!
Guru
I trialled Skype with a client that operates a small call centre. Simply a headset plugged into the back of the PC and Skype installed.

One plus point Skype has for this kind of set up is one username can be logged in more than once so as to use just one accounts credit.

Unfortunately Skype was found to be unreliable to use in this environment but I am sure I will be trialling it with the client again when the problems encountered are ironed out.
Connector
I also use Skype to Skype and I think it's just great!
Connector
I've only recently discovered Skype and blogged about it last week. I've also included a link to an article in the Independent which also raves about it.

It's excellent and if you've got long distance calls to make, it could save you a packet.

Best wishes

Alex
Guru
The fact that people have been ranting about free Skype-to-Skype shows just how good their PR is.

You have been able to "call" another computer for free in a similar fashion for years through netmeeting which is free with Windows, and more recently this has been integrated with MSN Messenger.
Connector
I think the very fact that they are not Microsoft gives them a PR head start!

Alex
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by jamiecarruthers
The fact that people have been ranting about free Skype-to-Skype shows just how good their PR is.

You have been able to "call" another computer for free in a similar fashion for years through netmeeting which is free with Windows, and more recently this has been integrated with MSN Messenger.
I would say it's more down to the quality and ease of use. I'm no technical expert but I understand many other packages have problems with firewalls.

There is also SkypeOut which is a massive benefit and hopefully soon the introduction of SkypeIn.

Jamie Miller
Active Sports Ltd
Distributors of Powerball
How Fast Can You Spin It....?
Connector
Thank you all for your advice, I have just tried it and the call was very clear-it was on a mobile in the Uk though. Skype out on an ordinary phone is a bit pricey though. Currently i am charged 8p a minute for my international calls and with skype it will cost 9p. However i have noticed calling UK landline is about 1.5p which is half BT price and calling mobiles in 15p a minute, am not sure what BT charges.

It is free if you skype someone on skpe so i will try and get as many family and friends on it so i skype for free. The service has left me baffled. Telecommunications prices keep comming down. I think this is definately a new phenomena which people will be on just like when people started texting.

You just need to buy a microphone and download the skype which takes less than 3min just in case someone wants to try it.I am new to it. I am trying to get my sister on it so i try and skype her for free and see how it works.