This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Looking to start a very small company

I was looking at the site and saw that it deals with general advice on all aspects of business including the formation of companies.

I myself am looking to start a very small company with a friend in which we be a distributor of independent Roleplay Games, we are also looking to print our own book line as well. We are looking at something like a LtD company, but no matter what books i read, or websites i look at i find myself lost with what i need to do to open a company and the costs involed.

Could anyone help me or point me in the right direction?.

Christopher Davies
Connector
Chris,

If this is going to be a micro company then you may well wish to start as a simple partnership with your friend.

This avoids many of the costs/complication of starting a company, and is suitable if you are likely to make profits under around 15k per annum.

If you want to research companies some more try the main sections of this site and over at startups.co.uk. Also try searching for questions on both forums on the topics as this type of thing comes up a lot.

If you do go for a company it is complicated and you will need to get an accountant. Yes I am biased but it isnt something you can DIY with. If you would like to have a chat about what structure is right for you please feel free to give me a ring for a free consultation. I am quite happy to spend a bit of time helping people get off to a good start.

Regards,
I would be happy to do a web site for you for a very affordable price!! Send me an email if you are interested
New Company

Hi Chris,

We would be happy to help you get setup. We can offer some business advice and marketing ideas.

email me David Pinel
Maven
Hi Chris,

James is quite right. If you only expect a small turnover than an Ltd may not be a suitable format for your business. There are the additional costs involved in maintaining accurate records and it is mopre complicated to wind up the business if unsuccesful.

If you need any advice do not hesitate to contact me.

Mike.