This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Please help us....

Hi All, Please help!

We are in the process of planning for a new business, so yesterday my partner and I started our 'on the street' market research project. We visited 2 locations with the aim of getting people to complete our questionnaires.

Off we went all positive and ready for the challenge....but to our HUGE dismay nobody would talk to us. Nobody would stop at all, they were all too busy, not interested, some people wouldn't even acknowledge us.

Today we feel like a pair of twits and our morale has been shattered (temporarily).

Has anyone else experienced this, does anyone have any advice for us.

Thank you for your help.

Kerrie
Connector
How many times have you stopped for them?

I know I walk by regular trying not to disrupt my day.

Are the locations your trying likely to have the right recipetents for your survey?

Also give them a reason to stop and talk to you, freebies work great.

Free Tea / Coffee for anyone that fills in a survey.

Or Free Cream Cake hehe.... But you get the idea.

Todays world is fast paced, and you need something to put the brakes on their feet just long enough for you to get your questions in.

Other than that you should except a high percentage of failure.

All the best

Martin
Connector
how persistant were you? if someone approached me wanting to carry out market research they would have to be pretty persistant to get me to stop. Dont expect people WANT to participate, its more about not giving them the choice!

also have you though about giving away some insentive (sp?)?

how about a competition or something? rewards?

the last time (and only time) i did market reasearch was for a local restaurant, they attracted me by giving free money off voulchers and chocolate bars.

other than that i tend to ignore them.

good luck,

Jonathan
Try and leave the question you ask open ended.

If you ask the question "can you spare a few minutes to.......", the answer will ussually be no.

Try and steer away from purely a yes and no introduction question when approaching people. Try and engage them get there attention.
Connector
how about going to coffee shops or other establishments where people are sitting and may have a minute to spare??

No escape that way

"Make no small plans for they have no power to stir the soul." (Niccolo Machiavelli)

www.marveewoods.com
Marvee Woods Music
Talented songwriter
Entrepreneur
what are the questions i'll answer them ? email me
Entrepreneur
Definitely agree that you need to offer an incentive - I'd stop for free coffee (actually, I'd do a lot for free coffee ) but not for someone I thought was going to try to sell me something. Bear in mind that most people won't know you're genuinely doing research - they'll think they're going to be asked to sign up for a catalogue, or join a religious cult or something.

Set up a little stall offering hot drinks or something as an enticement. It'll buy you a bit of good will, and make people much more generous with their time in return.

Also seconding techman - I'd be happy to answer your questions by email, and I bet a lot of other people would here, or on the other business forums. The internet can be a really good resource for market research. (plus, you don't have to freeze your butt off!)

copywriting, ghostwriting & design
Guru
Why don't you set up a link so we can download your questionnaire and fill it in or set up an online survey at somewhere like surveymonkey. I don't mind answering questions if I am sat in front of my PC but ask me on the street and unless you offer chocolate or strong, strong good coffee, I just won't stop!

www.onecost.co.uk Group Purchasing - getting the right price for the quality and service you need.
Connector
Quote:
Originally posted by natasha
how about going to coffee shops or other establishments where people are sitting and may have a minute to spare??

No escape that way
The coffee shop owner may chuck you out though as people go in there to relax.

invoice discounting, factoring and trade finance broker
Connector
Quote:
The coffee shop owner may chuck you out though as people go in there to relax.
If you sat discretly near them with a coffee, who would know!! LOL
Worth a try?

www.freeonlinesurveys.com I need to put this link in my signature, the amount of times i have recommended it!! LOL

"Make no small plans for they have no power to stir the soul." (Niccolo Machiavelli)

www.marveewoods.com
Marvee Woods Music
Talented songwriter
Maven
Hi,

How longs your questionaire??

I got asked to do a questionaire a while ago at trafford centre, and was told it would only take a few minutes ,10mins later the woman was still waffling on, I'd had enough!!

A free coffee might have swayed me!!
thanks all

Thank you everyone for responding.

I have been talking to another friend who thinks I actually may be going about my market research in the wrong way. He thinks I should focus more on 'spying' on the competition rather than going on the street with questionnaires.

The business I am planning to open is a small tanning & skincare salon. Therefore I really need my research to be based on the people who live in the areas that I am considering as prime salon locations.

Do you think i should try again with the questionnaires or focus more spying?

Thanks again everyone!
Connector
Why not do an online questionaire and post it on here and other forums for people to fill in?

No pressure then and the users can fill them in when they're ready to do so...
Connector
Hello,

Good to see another member of the beauty industry on the forum.

Your friend is right you should count how many people go in the competition's salon and as they get around the corner ask them if they will fill out your survey.

First things first, what do you want to gain from your market research?
What do you want to find out?

What type of salon do you want to open? Is it sun bed tanning?
Because when you say sunbed tanning and skin care in the same sentence, it just doesn't go?

www.marveewoods.com
Marvee Woods Music
Talented songwriter