This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Go Back   Shell LiveWIRE Discussion Forums > Shell LiveWIRE

Hi everyone! Setting up shop: Stock vs premises

Hi to everyone!!

I'm emma-jayne, I'm twenty-one and this is my very first time I've tried using forum! I am currently in the process of setting up my own designer childrenswear shop based in Cardiff.

At the moment I am looking for a suitable premises in what I have researched to be an ideal location. So far, I haven't purchased any stock! The problem being that clothes for different seasons usually have to be bought 6-9 months in advance.

My plan is to get a premises sorted asap, try and buy whatever stock I can get my hands on, to survive through winter 04, spring\summer 05 and hopefully be prepared for autumn 05, because I would have purchased stock in January.

If anyone has any advice regarding my current situation I would be really appreciate it. Or if your in a similar situation, or same retail field and would like to chat about business stuff, or any stuff...please drop me an email me at the address below!!!

I really look forward to hearing from you!!!
Connector
Hello & welcome to the forums!

Do you have suppliers all lined up......if it was me I would ensure that stock was available, you dont want an empty shop with escalating costs.

If you have suppliers ready to stock you up and you have the capital to go ahead then I would personally go for it!

Good luck,
Ben.

-----
Email/PM me for link exchanges on the above sites
Hi Ben,
I have some suppliers lined up. However, some of the stock they are trying to sell me isn't exactly what I am looking for. It's the case of 'you'll have to make do' scenario.

Just wondering if your advice would be to order the exact stock that I wanted in January, store it and hopefully get my hands on a premises ready for Autumn?

Thanks for your encouragment.
Let me know...
Emma-Jayne
Connector
Hello,

well if it was me & cash was good, I would buy what I thought would sell, even if this ment that the stock would be sat collecting dust or waiting for the right stock to arrive.

Its a risk you will have to decide, what if you buy 5k worth of stock you like, and then 6 months down the line they are selling stock you like better!

I'm sure the members on here who actually hold stock will be able to advise better!

rgds,
Ben.

P.S. Could you not arrange a sale or return agreement with them?

-----
Email/PM me for link exchanges on the above sites
Me again!

I probably could yes. That's a really good point !!

Cheers