This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Web Help required

Hello

Following on from my previous posting whilst I'm putting together a full spec for the required site I've bought some domain names. I plan on setting up a holding page for each of them until I decide on which one I will use.

My question is can I submit the holding pages to the site engines given the length of time it takes the spiders to crawl them? Then when I decide finally on the name can hits on the other names be redirected to the name I finally decide on.

Thanks in advance.

Liz
Entrepreneur
Hi Liz,

Theres a chance they might get indexed, but with search engines content is king, so being just holding pages they would certainly not gain any considerable ranking.

Domains can however be forwarded to one another, whether they have any value in driving traffic is another matter

Regards

web design and online applications
Maven
I don't see any harm in doing this, but it would be much better to start building links to your site now. It will be hard, but when you launch, if there are sites linking to yours, you will find it easier to improve your search engine position from that base. Just getting spidered before launching will not have the same benefits.
Connector
Dont spend much time on this, very unlikley that search engines will rank you highly, much better putting your time into the actual site.
Maven
The actual site is no use without visitors. And of course it's possible that you'll get ranked high! Someone has to! You've just got to know what you're doing and put in the extra effort.

If you need to prioritise, the site should indeed come first but once it's built, look for links (from/with relevant sites only!) wherever possible! Don't forget that you need to update content regularly for a good chance too.
Connector
My advice would be to NOT get any links to the site and to NOT submit it to the engines until it is 100% ready.

People will have differing views i suppose, but I would advise against it.

Free Website Tools from 123promotion.co.uk:
Optimise your website using the Search Engine Optimiser Tool.
Free Link Popularity Tool with many added features.
Connector
I would agree with 123promotion here. Don't advertise your site util its completely finished...