This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
Is This Wrong?

I was going to buy something through the internet for $40 and then decided not to. The next day I got email saying I could buy it for $30 if I entered in a promotional code which they gave me. Being bored, I tried a few variations of the code and suddenly I enter one that will let me buy it for $19.99. which is obviously half the original price. But I was just wanting to check that if I bought it at this price they couldn't come back after me? Saying that I wasn't given that particular promotional code.
Connector
I'd say that was enterprising & they need to review their codes!!

Go for it

-----
Email/PM me for link exchanges on the above sites
Connector
Buy it.

If they offer it then buy it!

I have often not bought from websites that have an "enter promotional/discount" code here incase I get a code in the next few days.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk
Maven
In the end it for you to decide whether its right or wrong. But I don't think it much different to finding a gift voucher on the floor. Its just fantasicly good luck!!!

If they do come back to you just say it was a typo error and apologise, it up to you then if you choose to pay the extra, but I don't think they can insist anyway, as it up to them at the time the transaction occurs to check things like that. However this is the rule for offline transaction, that occur in a retailer enviroment like a shop so this rule may be different for online transactions and as it priced in dollars I'm assuming that the transaction didn't take place in this country so the laws of that country may well be different concerning this sort of thing.
Entrepreneur
Though you haven't been particularly nefarious I think they could say you did some hacking, though what I'm thinking of only usually applies to URL addresses.
Connector
gwhaskew: I was in the same situation two years ago when I wanted to purchase a domain name from register.com.
Connector
Legally they dont have to accept your purchase unless they take the money off your card there and then.

Under British law at least, the price displayed is not an offer, but is called an "invitation to treat" this means that the owner of the site is inviting you to make an offer to buy the product at the price stated.

If he accepts your offer and takes payment then a contract is formed, if he doesnt then no contract exists.
Connector
_
^ Absolutely right!