This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Sandwich Bar Advice

Hi Everyone,

Ive just graduated from university and want to start my own Sandwich bar/delivery sevice.

Can anyone give me advice on leases, suppliers, location, in fact anything relevant.

I would also be keen to chat to people who have already opened their own outlet.

Thanks

Susie
Connector
Hi Susie,

If you are aged 16-30 and register online with Shell LiveWIRE at http://www.shell-livewire.org/cgi-bin/register.pl (this is different from registering for the Discussion Forum), you will be posted a factsheet dealing with your particular business idea (Sandwich Shop or Sandwich Delivery Round - you can only have one!).

Shell LiveWIRE Team
Maven
Hi Susie

you have a lot of questions requiring a lot of answers there! Just out of interest do you have previous experience in catering or is it just something you fancy? I used to work as an area manager for a carering and hospitality company and although it can be a very rewarding career it can also be hard work and long hours.

I think your best bet would be to start a business plan - for which you should be able to get plently of advise on doing from this site or your local enterprise company. If you are 25 or under then look into the Prince's Trust as an initial source of finance. I don't know where you are planning to open so can't give much advise on your local market but this is something you will do well to start with. Do a bit of market research as to where you think the business will do well, who your market will be, who your competition is and how much property is in that area. Once you know your market better you will be in a far better position to consider other aspects such as what to sell, how much to sell for and how you may be able to improve upon what the competition is doing.

Anyway, I hope this is a usefull starting point for you. As with any business there is a lot of groundwork that you need to do before starting but as they say - knowledge is power - and will increase your chances of being successfull!

good luck and hope all goes well
Maven
Hi Susie,

I can't stress enough how important a detailed business plan is- it will reduce stress and surprises later on. In my area sandwich shops are opening and closing the whole time and there is a great deal of competition. Don't let this put you off- learn from others mistakes and research your potential competitors.

Now is a great time for you to commence work on your business plan as you should still be feeling quite disciplined from finishing uni.

When you write your plan get the input of others, even friends or family. I found

All the bestBusiness Link an invaluable vat of information.

Good luck with your venture!

"See your business through the eyes of your customer"

Affordable mystery shopping solutions for SME's
Connector
I used to work for a wholesale sandwich making company and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I have always said I would like to do it again one day (but have my hands full at the moment).

Something it keep in mind is that to me there were two very different 'sandwich' environments. One where companies would arrive in a van with a heated back on it so to speak. Sandwiches delivered to your door if you like. The second was the sandwich shop environment where people would be happy to leave their desks and go to your shop for a sandwich. Maybe sitting down inside your premises and having a coffee too.

In my opinion the smaller sandwich shops that come and go are probably focusing too much on one of these environments and not trying to the lot.

Now I am not an expert, but I would urge you to consider all the possibilities in getting new customers whether it's on site or off.

Clem.

(Oh, and smoked ham and turkey (chopped), lettuce and mayonnaise is a much maligned but very popular sandwich).