This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Entrepreneur
Software company ?

Hello everybody, it's been a long time i last came here !

I have a new project : someone in France would like me to develop quite a big software (for an architect). I'm planning to do that with friends in my free time, but i think the best thing to do is to set up a small company in order to keep the copyright and to be able to resell this software to other possible customers (better to do a bill, more "professional" than just 3 students etc...).

Can you tell me how much could it cost for me to set up a limited company in england and to sell my software through it ? We will have nearlly no accounting work (just sell the software, no licenses to buy, no computer to buy etc) and i know people in england who could help me to fill in the forms properly.

What i'm interested to know it's the average price (including opening a business account in HSBC for example, paying a lawyer for the official signature etc)

thanks a lot !

subsidiary question: can we stop running the society after 1 year for example ? can a company stay "inactive" and pay no tax etc during this dead period ?
Entrepreneur
any idea anyone ?
Connector
Kamadji,

You can register a Ltd company on the net for about £40.

You can open up a business account with a bank, say HSBC for nothing as long as you don't want to borrow any cash. You will (should) get free banking for at least a year which means you won't pay any excess bank charges.

I would put a few hundred quid aside for the legal costs as Solicitors are notoriously expensive. They do the right things though, so it should be seen as money well spent. The actual legal costs will depend on the details but it looks like that'll be your biggest first expense.

Clem.
Entrepreneur
Thanks a lot clementine ! (your name sounds really french ;-) )
Connector
No, my name's Steve but my nickname is Clem. Couldn't register with Shell as Clem (for some reason) so chose Clementine (like the orange - for no apparent reason).

Hadn't occured to me that Clementine is a bird's name so there might be a few people out there who think i'm a girly.

Never mind eh?

Clem.
Connector
Have to confess Clem, I did assume you were of the lady persuasion for a good few months!

http://www.musosguide.com
Connector
So did Adam when I spoke to him. He had twigged by then but did say he wasn't sure for a while.

I'll have to make my posts sound more manly.

Burp.

Clem.
Connector
The Jury's still out on that one!

No, only joking, Clem does have a deep voice for a woman so we think he is male.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk