This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Maven
Marketing Help Required - Travel To Italy

I am currently working on my marketing strategy for my company, NLB Travel, which arranges guided tours of the sights in Italy.

The target market is the affluent, middle-class, well educated individual, aged 35-55, interested in history, culture, art, religion etc. and who would be interested in travelling to Italy.

I am contacting the low-cost airlines and travel agents and will also be doing some form of internet marketing, but I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about where this type of clientele go and what they read etc. I have advertised in The Guardian and Observer and am looking at all the broadsheets and I am in contact with the Italian Tourist Board and will soon be targetting language schools.

I had a meeting with Lastminute.com yesterday which went well and I am also looking at advertising in the Time Out guide books for Italy.

Does anyone have any good ideas about where/how to market?
A good story for a press release?
Someone/something famous to do with Italian that I could use to generate publicity?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Natalie Brown
NLB Travel
www.nlbtravel.co.uk
hope this is helpfull

My dad recently went on an arranged tour to italy via various different places he ended up in the riviera. he said it had its ups and downs but generally the places he saw (rather than the accomodation) were beautiful. He booked his through thompson with their young at heart brochure. Have you tried to contact the bigger firms?
Magazines would probably be your besat target such as Womans Weekly or Best as ladies of all ages read these and have a way to persuade their husbands!
Or alternatively Gardeners mags older gen of 35+ read them!
Best Of Luck
Maven
Thanks!

Thanks Lulu for your message.

I have been in contact with some of the more independent travel agents and some are interested in working together. I will certainly contact the large tour operators to see if they are interested.

I like your idea about the Gardener's magazines as this will certainly reach the older clientele and I am considering the women's mags also.

Thanks again and if ever you are travelling to Italy, feel free to contact me.

Natalie Brown
NLB Travel
www.nlbtravel.co.uk
Connector
Hi Natalie,

Hope your okay. Just to let you know ive come across a site called www.pressbox.co.uk, you can submit your press releases for free.

They don't always accept them as ive been writing one to two a week but ive just had an email saying that my latest press release has been accepted and its on the net. They claim journalists read it all the time. I dont know but as its free you can give it a go.

Also check out www.completlyfreeresources.com they have loads of other info on sites you may which to work your way through especially as i know you deal a lot with America

Speak to you soon
Elena
Maven
Thanks!

Thanks Elena. I should've known you'd still be on the internet on a Sunday evening!!

I will certainly take a look at the websites and try and get a press release out as soon as possible.

I hope your business is going well (which I am sure it is!) and I'll speak to you soon.

Thanks again.

Natalie
Connector
Actually believe it or not. I haven't worked all day . Ive been in West End shopping but then i went into all the lingerie shops.
Assesing and researching. Also dreaming that one day how im going to have my shop.

Ive decided a mix between La Senza and the lingerie dept in Selfridges!!! Call you in the week
Starting Out
how did this venture work out in the end?

How did you get around the ridiculas Italian laws regarding tour guides?

The reason I asked was because my wife is from Italy and we looked at the possibility of doing wine tours, but found the laws perhibitive.
Connector
i think on the BBC website i sae something about a new series starting called Rome - about ancient Rome....maybe you could try and see if you can get any exposure relating to that - as there will be an audience watching it all interested in Italy -
Starting Out
how did this venture work out in the end?

How did you get around the ridiculas Italian laws regarding tour guides?

The reason I asked was because my wife is from Italy and we looked at the possibility of doing wine tours, but found the laws perhibitive.
Connector
whoops ; only just realised how far this post goes back.
I'd be interested to hear how it all went too
Starting Out
I sent an email to the details of Natalie so will let you know if she comes back to me
Maven
Better late than never...

The best approach is to send your press release to journalist directly. Free sites, or sites that only distribute to a list of opt-in journalists, are unlikely to reach the exact journalists you are trying to target. And beware of distributors that use a scatter-gun approach, sending your release to thousands of journalists. If it's not relevant news to the individual journalists, it's considered spam!

Points to bear in mind if you're choosing a press release service;
- Ensure they're strong on editorial and vet every release. If your copy has mistakes or is written in the wrong structure/format, journalists will simply bin it.
- That they send releases directly and individually addressed to each journalist, and that the release appears to have come from you (so you're establishing your own relationships with journalists). In the US, distribution is predominantly by newswires but this isn't the case in the UK.
- That your news is syndicated to news aggregators and online news sites, such as Google News, Yahoo! News, etc. This helps with links to your site and wider distribution. It also means people can find your release via key word searches on major search engines.
- That the press list covers freelance journalists.

The following advice articles can be found at
http://www.pressdispensary.co.uk/pre...s_and_tips.php
How to write a press release
When to send a press release
Contacting the media