This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Guru
Opportunity for Artists

Hello
Not been on the forum for a while, but would like to introduce you to my new website, which will hopefully benefit artists (of the painting type).

The aim is to provide big original art to the masses at an affordable cost, so art admirers don't need to be rich to have a piece of original, one off beauty on their wall.

I have just built the website, and I am looking for more artist to display their work. I will soon be sending out 2000 leaflets, so now is a better time than ever. And at the moment it's completely free to list as many art-works as you like.

If your interested I will send you more details via email. I will also be organizing exhibitions in the future for displaying artists.

Thanks
Entrepreneur
Hi Pego,

Saw some of your ads on Gumtree. I'm also based in Edinburgh/East Lothian.

Curious to know if the £99 price tag is constant. I'd also be interested to know if your site is just an advertising portal for other artists to use or if you'll be taking a percentage of the price?
Guru
Hi InkyNib

At the moment it's totally free and probably will be for the next 6 months or so (at least for those that join at this early stage). It's an advertising portal for artists who are happy to make a lower profit margin on their art-work. The £99 (or less) tag is constant as I want the website to become known for affordable original art.
I am undecided how I will make profit from the website as there are various ways, however I can confirm at this stage that I will not be extortionate with any fees I may charge in the future.

The main reason I started the website was to get my own art work noticed, and I decided that if I sold my art work cheaper, I will make some profit and hopefully will sell quicker, but auction websites are mammoth and take unreasonable high fees.

I am also happy for prints to be sold and made to order art.
If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask
Entrepreneur
How are you handling painting being sent out, do artists send them out themselves as you pass on the orders or are you asking artists to send their work to you, then you handle sales and delivery?

All the best - Tim
Guru
Hi Tim

Artists will send the items out themselves, I may do a drop-shipping service at some point in the future, but at the moment, logistically it makes more sense for the artists to deliver their product to the customer.

I am currently setting up the website so all payments go from the customer directly to the seller, so I do not need to be involved in any of the money handling.

The website will be similar to a popular auction site - seller lists item, customer buys item, seller receives money, seller sends product, customer rates seller.

Each seller will have a profile page and will be able to login in and list as many products as they wish.
Hi Pego,
I like your idea, it will be very safe plus easy for all the seller and customer to have their account. You should implement this soon.
Guru
Hi Garyoak

Thank you for the positive feedback. The website is now ready for artists (and Sculptors/photographers) to register and list automatically.

I need more artists to list their art-work, so for anyone who joins at this stage, I will keep it free for them for life (no listing fees and no commission taken ever). As I would just like to see the website populated with art work, so when I do start the advertising, customers will see a populated website. At the moment I have about 5 people about to list, but I would really like around 20 free listing members.

I used to value my art work for between £200 and £500 each, Now I sell the same quality art (same materials) for £99. Why? because I used to charge based on what I thought someone rich would pay. However now i charge according to the time I take to create the art and the materials used (this way i earn between £8 and £10 an hour).

Basically I am asking artists to pay themselves a fair salary disreguarding how wonderful they think there art work is. When the website becomes popular, it could become the equivalent of a full time job for artists or a platform for a very successful art career.

Tags
affordable art, artists wanted, modern art