This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Starting Out
NEED SOME ADVICE PEOPLE!!? create a website

Hey,

My idea is basically a video-sharing website "abit like youtube"...
I havent got no knowledge in web design or developing..so I am willing to get the books, look at the tutorials and teach myself everything..."even if it takes me a decade" LOL

So what are the things that make up youtube? from the beginning to end...everything from the software to the languages...BASICALLY EVERY SINGLE THING

PLEASE HELP.
Entrepreneur
Wow. You're sitting on the internet and came on here to ask what the score is with Youtube. A glance at the summary paragraph on it's wiki entry would give you the jist.
Starting Out
Hey Ceasar,

1. Learn HTML.
2. Learn PHP.
3. Create website.

Done!
Guru
Video sharing website? You will need bandwidth for sure, lots of it.
Connector
Ok do you want the simplest answer from an experience web developer?! - Don't Bother.

Trying to create a "YouTube" spin off or anything similar will fail - Just when you think there is only so much you can do with video - YouTube goes and does more - YouTube will very soon be integrating YouTube Social media capabilities to allow you to share with Google +1 and various other social media sites etc.

In addition to that as mentioned by amac your servers need incredible amounts of bandwidth, your website needs the technology to crunch videos down to virtually nothing without losing clarity and many many other requirements that quite simply you wont meet. There is a reason why YouTube is number 1 besides the fact that its a Google company with an unlimited budget. You may have fantastic ideas for your website but not only will you not do it as well as YouTube you will struggle to move people away from YouTube and to your new idea.