This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

what makes a new business a success?

Well as the title pretty much indicates, I'm opening a discussion on what makes a new business a success?

Why am i asking this........? well I need some tips and pointers from you budding entrepreneurs out there on what you think?

Maybe you know some actual entrepreneurs or maybe you are an enthusiastic entrepreneur yourself, I would like to find out your thoughts!

I'm doing this for my Research proposal for my MA dissertation, and need some help!!!
Connector
customers?

;0)
Connector
innovation
common sense
attention to detail

and I'd like to say customer service but having experienced some pretty dire customer treatment from very successful big co's I'm starting to wonder if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

http://www.musosguide.com
Connector
yep your right there holly...treat your customers bad and you'll earn millions!! ;0(
Connector
haha, it would seem so!

http://www.musosguide.com
Connector
I wish I knew!

I think innovation to a certain extent. You do not need to be the first in to an industry and often being the second with a slightly different take on the business can be more beneficial. If you are not the first you can either slog it out and work with a skill - designer, accountant, solicitor etc or be innovative. With a skill you can work slowly and build, with retail for instance you need a lot more business from day one.

Opening the third pizza shop in a parade is not going to work unless you do something very well. Even being cheaper will not necessarily work.

Your business needs some kind of hook unless you rely on impulse. Taxi firms often do as you walk past an office or stop one in the street but most other businesses require a decision to go there, why would your customer think of you above the others?

Once you have what I (and no one else by the look of it) call your HYST - Have You Seen This, which is what your customers will say to their friends if you do a good job you then need all the usuals of customer service and delivering the goods so you are trusted etc.

Customer Service is becoming more Customer Management with regular contact. This must be done carefully or you get accused of SPAM and pi55 off your customers. A newsletter is okay for certain businesses but be relevent. Once every 6 months to check the site you designed is still good and a couple of news articles is fine. A message covered in irelelvent affiliate scheme links will be deleted, as will your link in their favourites list. A retailer could email and ask if the DVD was good or the sweatshirt fitted. Each communication must be relevent and have a "call to action", a small piece of text that says why not log back on to www.... and buy your Christmas presents etc.

Vending Solutions from Vendesent.co.uk