This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Guru
Business partners needed ASAP

Hi there

I have two businesses that i need business partners for with certain skill sets. Preferably of similar age to my self (mid-late 20s) and preferably from the Edinburgh or near by area so we can meet.

1. The first business is a product for the advertising world. Up untill recently i sold the product on Ebay, but i was building it at home from available materials that i could manipualte into shape. I sold around 30 in 2 months with a good profit margin on each unit.

I need a business partner(s) that can use Computer Aided Design to build a good 3D visual/actual representation of the product (with dimension drawings). Together we will need to aproach manufacturers. We will potentialy need to secure funding for its development although it is a simple product so should not be too expensive for a first run. This is a first to market product that has been successfuly sold on Ebay already. The only reason why i am not continueing to develop the product by myself is because i do not have the space or time to build each and every-one, so need it to be professionaly manufactured with better logistics. I am a product designer (but have forgotten the CAD Skills i learnt cause its been a long time since university) so you will be working with someone who has knowledge of materials and processes etc...

2. Totaly of topic from the above idea, i have a great SuperHero comic concept that i would like to start up with others. The comic will be handed out freely to the public hopefuly securing advertising for susequent issues. I need a partner that can interpret a theme and turn it into a story and a 2nd partner that can create a comic strip out of the story.

I already run one steady income business, so you will be working with someone who knows what they are doing, is motivated by success, but is also easy going.

If you are interested in either of the two business opportunities above or have any questions please reply by email or respond to this thread.

Cheers
Connector
Hi Pego.

For the first idea, it sounds you need a consultant for a one-off task, more than a business partner. Am I right?
Guru
Hi Dan

You are right. However consultants are expensive and business partners are not. If i had the money to employ people on my behalf, thats what i would do cause i would prefere to keep 100% of profits especialy since a lot of brainstorming and effort has went into the idea already.

The product that i want to take to market will be popular when properly designed, however at the moment the idea/product is just siting there gathering dust. I have had potential customers emailing me for the product. I was only advertising on the UK Ebay, but I had Americans asking for me to send the product to them which tells me it could sell world wide.

I am not 100% confident in my home made effort of the product (otherwise I would continue to build them at home) as it would benefit from new materials and a munufacturing process that made it more sturdy and suitable for its intended use.

If you have any other advice, or ways to get the product to market with little outlay I would apreciate it.

I could use students, but its an original project and they may need to disclose it to others through presentations etc... which may not be the best idea, if I want to remain 1st to market.
Connector
Hi pego.

The best way to protect your product would be to get it patented.
I know, that involves other money to be spent.

It all goes down to how much you believe in the product and how much you think you can make it out of it.
If you think about it, maybe 5K (patent + consultant) to startup will sound like a reasonable bet. [I don't know whether is 5K, that was a guess].

Have you done any projection about your turnover/profit?
Can you safely spend some thousand pounds from your own pocket?

Btw, I think also 2 can be a good idea but I would start just with one of the them - just to keep you focused.
Guru
Thanks.

It's not a patentable idea (a part of the redesign might be though). Iv'e done a google image search and people have already employed the idea to some degree, but have not created a business out of it, which means it probably will not gain patentable status. It is a simple idea, just needs to be manufactured better with different materials from what i was previously using.

If i had 5k i would spend it on getting it designed professionally and a first run produced. So that is what i'm going to aim for.

P.S: I just noticed you won the Shell award. Congratulations.
Connector
Quote:
Originally Posted by pego View Post
P.S: I just noticed you won the Shell award. Congratulations.

If you don't have own money to invest, then, yes, probably business partnership can be a good idea.

Have you tried to post in forums specific for the type of expertise you need?
Connector
Hi Pego,

I used to know a lot of product designy graphicy designy chaps and chapettes in Edinburgh as I used to run a magazine here while at Uni and I even had a product design student in on a placement from Napier.

Alas a lot of them have moved away and my network in those fields has fallen away. I do know, however, that there is an absolute tonne of that type of graduate around our fair city and finding them should be easy. Go to the Uni's and ask, it really is that easy. Hariot Watt, for example, will put an ad posting up for you in their recruitment section for free.

In terms of the comic and getting advertisers etc it will be difficult for you to get it going with the way the advertising money is being spent these days.

What is your product? If you don't mind me asking. You're fairly guarded about it in your post above but if it is not patentable and already being sold by you on Ebay then maybe you wont mind letting us know what it is?

If you are in the tech industry then you'll maybe like to go along to the tech meetups held by the University of Edinburgh and maybe you'll find someone that way. In terms of CAD then you could go to some of the product design courses that you used to attend ask if there is anyone who is interested in helping there. There should be a bunch, there always are people at the Unis around here who are enterprising and would jump at the chance. By knowing what you are looking for, say "A high level of proficiency with Rhino" then you can just make a "person description" and find the right one.

Also you should get over to the PSYBT, their office is beside the Sheraton, and get involved there. They'll be able to tell you a lot more than I can about what the relevant departments at the relevant Unis would be.
My driving lessons website
UK Driving Theory Test iPhone App
My Theory Test & Hazard Perception App
Facebook | The Learner Driver Blog
Guru
Hi Richard

I used to study at Napier univeristy, so thats what i was just about to do. They had good business workshops when i was there called BYOBIZ (build your own business), but have since abolished them. I'm going to contact one of the head of enterpreneurships there, as he had a lot of knowledge and contacts (i just need to find his name). Once upon a time i even had office space at napier university. Been a while since those days.

The advertising product is very simple and is basicaly an advertising display that is used in a certain way. The advertising display is cheaper, lighter weight and environmentally friendlier than its current competitors. It's to some degree a redesign of what is currently on the market or a simplified version of whats on the market. I'm aiming the product at sole traders, small businesses and I have also had interest from individuals.
I don't want to give too much a way, because it would be very easy for someone else to copy the idea and produce it big time if they had the funds in place, although the success of the product would be based mainly on how i market it.

I think i had previous contact with the PSYBT in Edinburgh, and did not feel they where able to help too much with a previous project i was working on (although the project was rather eleborate). besides I think they may only give help if you are under 25.
hello all ,
i need support form shelllivewireuk,i don't have own money to invest, then, i need help form partnership can give me good idea. in runing my business.simply put i started off dicsovering a amazing benefits connected with herbs a short while ago.this herbs is for cures of infertility.the problem of infertility continues to affect an inceasing number of women of reproductive age every year.
I'm not in Edinburgh (although used to study there). I've just had a look and the Edinburgh College of Art (on Lauriston place) has a Product Design degree, including CAD work. Students are always looking for short-term or part-time work, would it be possible to take one on freelance to do the design work?

It depends on the quality of the result I guess, but it won't cost much.
Connector
The ECA is a good place to go and try. Did you get in touch with anyone from Napier? Give us an update and let us know how things are going, hoping that it is working out well for you.

Did you consider taking a student in on a placement? Might be a little more tough to arrange than taking a student in on a freelance project but rather than just helping someone with experience/their cv you're also helping them get a good grade in their degree.
My driving lessons website
UK Driving Theory Test iPhone App
My Theory Test & Hazard Perception App
Facebook | The Learner Driver Blog
Guru
i'm deicating all my resources and time to the advertising product and have entered the shell-live wire awards for august.

I've contacted a department of Napier University that has recently been set up to help entrepreneurs and SME's in Scotland prototype and develop their products.

Their website is; http://www.edtc.org.uk/ I'm sure their is similar at Other UK universities as well.

Another good website for scotland is http://www.klinks.co.uk/knx/ it assists entrpreneurs and small businesses in Scotland to grow their business.

I've realised there is loads of information and help out their, but sometimes it's a process of stumbling across it rather than it being easy to find. I plan to create a website with as many of these good web resources on it as possible.

Tags
business partners, comic, illustrators, shell livewire members