This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Connector
market value

where can i find information about the market value of a specific industry?

T: 08443572722
Connector
When you say value though do you mean potential target audience size or averge cost per service/item for example if you where trying to find the "Market Value" of "Web Design" - You could workout loads of things like market average cost per site, the estimate number of new start ups in 2010, the estimated number of website re-designs between 2010 - 2011, the estimated total for the market through 2010 (this will be quite difficult)

Your best bet is to think simple - What area do you want to cover first of all? Then work out the target audience in that area, then work out the average cost of the service you want to provide in that area. That will then give you the potential market average value by simply timising the average cost by total target audience.
Connector
Please don't reply, if you have no idea what market share or market value is.

T: 08443572722
Connector
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTechITSupport View Post
Please don't reply, if you have no idea what market share or market value is.
Lets not get into a debate over this Tom!!! - I know exactly what Market Share and Market Value is - I just wanted to know exactly what you was trying to gain from your question as it was so vague - as calculated the "Market value of an industry" is very vague because an industry amounts to a lot of things - Take the I.T. Industry for example - Calculating the Market value of the I.T. Industry is difficult because there are so many variables involved - but narrow it down to a more specific sector within an industry for example the Market Value of I.T. Support within the I.T. Industry and its a lot easier to calculate.

I think the problem here was how vague the question was - Think about it - for example lets say you obtained that the entire Technology industry is worth (the market value of the IT Industry) 100 Billion Pounds - what do you gain from that? - its virtually irrelivant what you actually need is the Market value of an industry sub sector - for example the I.T. support industry is worth 30 billion pounds - then inconjunction with that you can workout the market share of that sub sector across the I.T. industry to give you a trend of how that sub sector stacks up against other sub sectors i.e you can compare I.T. Support to I.T. Sales to determine how profitable a business within each sector could be.

Ref Market Share - This was never mentioned but is simple to obtain.
Connector
Lots of words but not answering the question! You're advocating deducing market size based on combined assumptions.

Tom, have you tried Mintel? You should be able to gain access at one of the larger libraries. Other than that, if you speak to a *good* sector-specific magazine about advertising space, they'll happily tell you all those numbers as part of the sales chatter

Chris

Installation, sales and consultancy for home-cinema, multi-room sound and corporate AV.

- Gear 7 on Facebook
- Gear 7 on Twitter
Connector
It really depends on the industry, you'd get better info if you specified which industry you'd like info about.
My driving lessons website
UK Driving Theory Test iPhone App
My Theory Test & Hazard Perception App
Facebook | The Learner Driver Blog
Starting Out
You may search related magazine to find about real value of related business.
Connector
For me I go onto the DSA website where they publish information, the Department for Transport where they also publish their industry figures etc. If your industry is like the Automotive industry then you'll find a wealth of information provided by the Government that is free. The Mintel report is one way of doing things but since I've no longer had free access to it I've stopped using it.

The price of conducting market research is actually significantly lower than you may expect, for instance, you can use Survey Monkey to do surveys for free. This sort of thing a decade ago would maybe have required you to post out your surveys and that costs money, so a lot of this can be found out through market research alone.

Not sure what Holo Man is saying there!
My driving lessons website
UK Driving Theory Test iPhone App
My Theory Test & Hazard Perception App
Facebook | The Learner Driver Blog