This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more hereX

Home > Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum

Shell LiveWIRE Team Member
July Shell LiveWIREGrand Ideas Award Shortlist

The 10 young entrepreneurs listed below have been shortlisted for our July £1,000 Shell LiveWIRE Grand Ideas Awards given out at the end of August.

Jonathan Millin (Zoomatelo)
Zoom2Work is an easy-to-use, customisable carpooling solution built for businesses. Everyday, colleagues across the world drive individually to work. If they were to carpool they would save money, reduce their emissions and even get to know their co-workers better. But carpools can be difficult to set-up and run. Zoom2work addresses carpooling difficulties, making it easy to create and share carpool information, find the best carpooling partners and ensure security by creating closed social networks within organisations. Businesses have incentives to join too, such as savings on parking infrastructure, reduced congestion around the office, and a reduced carbon footprint. Zoom2work is priced reasonably to fit CSR budgets, and offers a host of features including white-labelled websites, carbon-saving statistics, a free traffic SMS service to carpool drivers, and a karma system to keep users engaged and pursuing environmentally friendly activities. Zoom2work is self-funded with three co-founders, Nick reading a PhD in Cambridge, Jonathan reading a PhD in Edinburgh, and Mike working at Google. The business has won over £10,000 of innovation prizes and has successfully implemented their product in Africa’s largest company.

Jack Gibbon (Antlers)
Antlers is an independent commercial art gallery representing emerging to established Bristol-based artists. The Antlers gallery is nomadic by design. With no permanent residence, the business produces temporary exhibitions in prominent, empty retail spaces around Bristol.

Having no permanent space gives the business a flexible business model, which can adapt to different markets and circumstances, making it a sustainable enterprise for the following reasons:

· The reduction of some of the core expenses of business rates, rent and services charges, means the business can afford to lease properties in prominent retail locations.

· Changing locations gives increased exposure as each new show reignites the excitement of launching a new business.

· Each new location means the business can attract new audiences and clients, constantly developing the business’ database.

· By having no fixed location the business is free to leave Bristol for art fairs, festivals and ‘pop ups’ in other cities and countries without being tied to ongoing costs at a ‘home’ gallery.

· Antlers can program a range of exhibitions depending upon the space.

· Being nomadic makes the business’ online presence essential. The Antlers website, Twitter and Facebook pages act as hubs from which the business can communicate. Emphasis on online promotion greatly reduces marketing costs.

Anil Stocker (Marketinvoice)
Marketinvoice is a cloud-based online marketplace where SMEs can auction trade receivables (i.e. commercial invoices) in order to obtain cash advances of up to 90%. Global investors bid on these invoices and winners advance cash in exchange for a discount fee. SMEs that trade with large debtors often suffer from late payments. Unlike traditional financing sources such as overdrafts, factoring or invoice discounting, with Marketinvoice SMEs receive competitive discount fees; there’s no obligation to use, no service fees, no arrangement fees, no personal guarantees and the service is confidential to customers. Marketinvoice provides investors with direct access to the trade receivables asset and its unique investment term/return profile – investment terms are usually only 30-60 days and annualised yields range between 10-25%. Investment risk is generally very low and can be diversified between different invoices or fractions of invoices. Marketinvoice performs rigorous checks and validation on SMEs and investors have access to all relevant information to assist in due diligence. Marketinvoice takes a fee from both buyers (20% of returns) and sellers (0.5% of invoice amount) and, given sufficient trading volume, can operate profitably. To date, over £800K of invoices have been traded.

Jonathan Garland (ecoTent)
ecoTent will provide biodegradable, environmentally friendly tent accommodation to festivals goers, of which there are hundreds of thousands in the UK every year and millions worldwide. Festivals are taking a strong stance on wanting to be environmentally friendly, yet thousands of plastic tents and metal pegs are left behind at festivals every year. ecoTent (patent pending) is a unique, biodegradable tent that can be left behind at festivals without the disastrous repercussions for the environment. The tent has been designed to allow camping for a weekend, or the duration of a typical festival, after which time, festival goers/campers can gladly leave their tent behind to decompose into the ground. ecoTent has basically the same principle as a normal tent, with the exception of it being constructed from 100% biodegradable materials which, when totally decomposed, puts valuable nutrients back into the soil.

Kes Thygesen (RolePoint)
RolePoint helps companies find the most talented candidates through their employees' professional networks, resulting in lower cost and better performing hires.

Hiring costs are very high and it is difficult to know whether candidates would make a good organisational fit. Recruitment agencies often charge 10-20% of the first year salaries, and fees can be between £5,000-£25,000. With job boards, hiring managers are inundated with large volumes of unsuitable candidates.

RolePoint is a solution that relies on employee referrals. Employee referrals are the most cost effective way to attract candidates (rewards are typically between £500-£4,000), and it has been proven in numerous studies that they perform better and stay in roles longer. RolePoint is an internal solution that helps companies leverage their employees' social networks and incentivise them to find the best talent. Today there are numerous ways to access your network online. RolePoint’s platform makes it easier to access those networks from one place and combine it with the right incentive scheme to ensure employees spread the message.

The primary revenue stream will be a monthly license fee. Initially the platform will be white-labelled for internal use within medium-large corporations.

Phillip Wilkinson (Edutal Ltd)
Edutal’s vision is to positively impact schools through low-risk innovations and projects. This vision focuses on the use of innovative technology to improve academic attainment and further the social and emotional development of children. The business is developing software, web platforms and mobile applications with the following mission statement always in mind: "Edutal aims to further children's education and development through digital innovations and community engagement."

The first product Edutal is preparing to launch in the next academic year is abHive, a social learning website that encourages collaboration and networking between teachers, whilst promoting positive and constructive social interactions between pupils. Though there is similar software out there, none has allowed pupils and teachers to connect with their counterparts in other schools. With asHive, they can introduce national and international collaboration projects including a modern day pen pal. This is only one of the innovations the business is currently moving forward with.

Michael Korn (KwickScreen)
KwickScreen is a portable, retractable, room divider which provides isolation or privacy solutions in hospitals when required. KwickScreens have a very small footprint for easy storage and use, and are simple to transport and clean. KwickScreens enable hospitals to make the best use of space, offering the flexibility to change a room’s layout. The product greatly helps in the fight against healthcare-acquired infections as well as with mixed sex accommodation and general privacy and dignity problems. KwickScrens can be printed, which adds colour and interest to wards and can be used to display important messages to staff and visitors. In the past 6 months the business has sold KwickScreens to over 25 NHS trusts, as well as overseas to Canada, Italy and the UAE.

KwickScreen is the world’s most portable room divider and has applications beyond healthcare, such as in schools, universities, offices and exhibitions where open plan areas need to be divided in a fast and flexible manner. The KwickScreen is a patented product, using RolaTube technology which the business holds a worldwide exclusive licence to use in making screens.

Andrew McAllister (Water4Ethiopia Enterprises Ltd)
Water4Ethiopia is an independent charity raising funds for clean water projects in Ethiopia. In order to raise additional funding and awareness for the charity the business is bringing out the Water4Ethiopia Bottled Spring Water range to sell in the UK, under Water4Ethiopia Enterprises Ltd.

Each bottle sold provides one Ethiopian with clean water for one year. There is a code on the back of the bottle which tells the consumer who they have just helped. All profits from the bottled water go to Water4Ethiopia the charity and the business takes no money from the venture.

Water4Ethiopia works with the NGO in Ethiopia, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church Aid Commission, to construct clean water projects in Ethiopia in the form of capped springs or wells with hand pumps. The Water4Ethiopia charity was founded in 2009 and, to date, has given 450 Ethiopians clean water. All water bottles are PET recyclable and the business is looking to bring out a range of glass bottles in the future.

Jordan Anderson (Governing Dynamics)
Governing Dynamics develops low-cost, sustainable biotechnologies such as commercial gene therapies, molecular farming tools and ecobioreactor technology as well as procedure automation for such techniques as gene synthesis, sequencing, replication and testing.

Governing Dynamics wishes to bring back phage therapies to combat antibiotic resistances and have hopeful treatments for diseases from MRSA to the recent E. coli outbreak in Europe. Other resurrected medical technologies have been inspired by Thomas Chang, Stanley Miller & Harold Urey.

The company excels at drug design and chemical synthesis, aiming to replace current market pharmaceuticals with, quite possibly, safer, more renewable alternatives, and will target large prizes for orphan drugs and from such organizations such as XPrize and Innocentive.

Jason Mitchell (The Connected Set Ltd)
The Connected Set is a cross-platform TV and transmedia format production company and consultancy. The business devises TV shows and creates digital products that work alongside linear TV – including multiplatform games, second screen mobile apps, and interactive services for the new generation of converged devices.

The Connected Set works exclusively with TV broadcasters and TV production companies. Their clients include Channel 4 Television, FremantleMedia (the company behind X Factor), Castaway Television (the company behind Survivor), and many more.

The business operates in a high growth area of the TV market as broadcasters and production companies are increasingly seeking to create formats that engage audiences across multiple platforms (Million Pound Drop is an example of a format that does this well right now). There’s very little expertise in this market and The Connected Set brings together the silos of TV and digital production.

Win Funding For Your Business

If you think that you or your business has what it takes to win a £1,000 Shell LiveWIRE Grand Ideas Award you can apply online now via our Awards page at http://www.shell-livewire.org/awards
Starting Out
Water4Ethiopia Short-Listing

Thank you very much for our Short-Listing, very exciting!

We are just working on our 1 minute video for Friday - in the mean time please do LIKE our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/Water4Ethiopia.

Any water related ideas for our video would be much appreciated please?
Starting Out
I hope everyone enjoys watching all 10 videos from today at http://www.shell-livewire.org/my-business-kit/preview/. Good luck to the other 9 candidates and if you have any ideas on anything that we can team up with in the future then do please let us know?

At the moment Water4Ethiopia bottled water is looking for festivals, shops and businesses that we can sell our bottled water at. 25p per bottle sold goes to Ethiopia, which pays for 1 Ethiopian to have clean water for 1 year. The code on the back of the bottle tells the consumer which Ethiopian they have just helped.

It costs around £2250 for 1 village to have a capped spring for 450 beneficiaries (£2250/450 = £5 each). Each capped spring has a life expectancy of 20 years. (£5/20 years = 25p for 1 Ethiopia to have 1 year of clean water).

We run Water4Ethiopia bottled water in our spare time, as we all have full-time jobs, and we don't take a penny out of this venture, we just want to help provide clean water to as many villages in Ethiopia as we can - it is absolutely shocking out there, I hate watching people drinking from dirty streams and even puddles when I visit Ethiopia.

You can demo our bottled water login at http://www.water4ethiopia.org/signup.php using the code B06K89. Please do let us know your thoughts and how we can improve? Former Dragon's Den star Rachel Elnaugh kindly gave up an hour of her time earlier this year to give us some tips - thanks Rachel. If anyone runs a festival, shop or business and might be able to stock some Water4Ethiopia bottled water then do please email andy@water4ethiopia.org.

All the best with your businesses!
Connector
I am really impressed with the average quality of this month's candidates.
Good luck to all of you.

Hi water4ethiopia. I really like your project. I was thinking: can't you also try and team up with a major existing water bottle company in order to be even for effective?
Starting Out
Hi Dan - thanks for message! We would definitely be interested in talking to major bottled water companies to see if they would take our concept on board. Do you happen to have any contacts at all please?

In terms of retail outlets then so far I have contacted the head drinks buyers at WH Smith and Caffe Nero, but they are tied into contracts at the moment, as well as speaking to Crussh's Operations Director who is having a good look at our samples as we speak. A cafe in Cheltenham and a local football team in Scotland are stocking the water from end of the month, and we are visiting Boston BEAT festival and Grantham's B2B event in September, whilst October is the Festival of Pride at Newark Showground on 22-23 October. Our bottled water factory owners are hopefully setting us up with a meeting with Brakes and 3663 in September. Fingers crossed!

Thank you very much for thinking about Water4Ethiopia and I really appreciate your advice, if you have any other words of wisdom then I'd love to hear them please? Do you happen to use bottled water in your business at all? Thanks, Andy.
Connector
Wow, it seems you have already a lot of opportunities lined up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by water4ethiopia@gmail.com View Post
Hi Dan - thanks for message! We would definitely be interested in talking to major bottled water companies to see if they would take our concept on board. Do you happen to have any contacts at all please?
Unfortunately not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by water4ethiopia@gmail.com View Post
Thank you very much for thinking about Water4Ethiopia and I really appreciate your advice, if you have any other words of wisdom then I'd love to hear them please? Do you happen to use bottled water in your business at all? Thanks, Andy.
Unfortunately not. But I will be happy to buy them if I see them where on the shelves.
Starting Out
Thanks for your support Dan - I hope that one day you're able to send us a photo of you drinking one of the Water4Ethiopia bottles of water. Take care.
Starting Out
wow, some awesome businesses up for the awards this month, not sure which to vote for, they're all so good. I'm sure it goes without saying, thought there can only be one winner, don't let not winning this discourage you. Keep at it and stay committed.

www.ratethatcurry.com
Hi guys,
Please feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions about my pitch 'The Complainer' or my business The Connected Set. Thanks, Jason
Hello all!

We're extremely proud to be shortlisted for this months award. If you have any questions about our concept please feel free to ask me and I'll reply as quickly as I can!

In the meantime please follow our Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/marketinvoice) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/Marketinvoice) pages to keep up to date with our most recent activities. We also regularly publish business related blogs and links to relevant articles on SME finance.

We hope during times of economic uncertainty, where banks are unwilling to lend, that we can provide a credible alternative source of finance to meet the working capital needs of today's businesses.

www.marketinvoice.com
Maven
Great to be shortlisted, hopefully win this time. Good luck to everyone else, especially any social enterprises.
Hello to all the fantastically friendly people of Shell LiveWire!

Firstly thanks for short listing us for this award, it's always nice to have your efforts recognised and rewarded.

Also though winning this award will be amazing! I'm always happy to take on board any words of wisdom you would like to impart. After all feedback is the breakfast of champions. So please don't hold back your opinions regarding my pitch for Edutal. Feel free to follows us on Twitter (www.twitter.com/edutal_ltd).

Thanks!

Phil
Starting Out
Not long to go until the end of this months vote!

If you're still pacing up and down your hallway, scratching your heads in your back garden, or just taking a timeout in your bedroom to try and work out who deserves your vote the most, then do please check out Water4Ethiopia's Summer Newsletter at http://bit.ly/pCeXvK for more information, as well as messaging any of the 10 contenders with any questions you may have.

Have a great weekend!

Tags
awards, funding, grand ideas